+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Birthday Peter Walker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Happy Birthday Peter Walker

Were he still with us, Peter Walker (founder of Quad Electroacoustics) would be celebrating his 100th birthday today.

Few people have been as instrumental in the creation of the (now sadly decimated) UK audio industry as Peter Walker, so as an unabashed Quad enthusiast, I'll be listening to my largely Quad system (tuner, power amps and speakers), and will raise a toast to PW with a very large glass of Laphroaigh to thank him for giving me over forty years of listening pleasure!
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Good post Barry, as a fellow 405 and ESL user I will join you in a toast to the great mans memory.

Just how far were the ESL57s ahead of their time?

I'm Jez.

My glass will be loaded here at Arkless Towers as well...

I was honoured to meet him on a few occasions and a really nice bloke he was.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Met Ross once, many, many years ago at Quad evening where HiFi was demonstrated and very nice cheese and wine served.

All Quad system except CD player that was an Marantz. I said the it's aesthetics did not match with the Quad's, and suggested that Quad just re-package a Philips CD player. He thought it a good idea.
    Spendorman

I'm tony.

My 57s and 63s give me immense pleasure....large glass of Honey JD being consumed to Mr Walkers memory/birthday-slange!!!

+ Reply to Thread