+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latest change to RPi Setup

I'm Tony.

Default Latest change to RPi Setup

Well it’s one less power supply required having swapped out the old USB HDD with a spanking new Samsung EVO 1Tb Solid State Drive.

You can just about see it with the blue light in the photo.

Copied all the files over using ‘rsync’ (haven’t used that command since my Unix days ).

No problems accessing wirelessly via Macbook and sounding as good as ever.

Also have enabled Tidal Hifi service under Volumio and now pretty much have my music source sorted.

Next step is going to be upgrading to ALLO Katana DAC + Isolator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Richard.

I have a Rpi feeding an Allo boss. I'm pleased with the SQ (and, IMHO just beats the Rpi + Audiphonics Sabre -which I also have). Both are fed by a Linear PS.

The Kali piques my interest but I have some (naive) questions...

Do I have to use a 'Piano' board as well as the Kali or can I feed the Kali into my Beresford SEG DAC?.. If I can, which of the 2 options (Piano or SEG) will afford the best SQ (subjective I know!)

Thanks,

Richard.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    I have a Rpi feeding an Allo boss. I'm pleased with the SQ (and, IMHO just beats the Rpi + Audiphonics Sabre -which I also have). Both are fed by a Linear PS.

Do I have to use a 'Piano' board as well as the Kali or can I feed the Kali into my Beresford SEG DAC?.. If I can, which of the 2 options (Piano or SEG) will afford the best SQ (subjective I know!)

Thanks,

Richard.
    I'll have to leave the answers to this to others more knowledgable I'm afraid. I do suspect that a Kali/Piano/Whatever would be at best a sideways move to the BOSS?
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post

Thanks,

Richard.
    The Piano is a DAC, like your Boss, so going to it would indeed be a sideways move. The Kali is a reclocker which improves the I2S signals that go from RPi to DAC. It's not needed with the Boss, and it won't work with the SEG. If you want to use the SEG you could get one of the Allo digital output boards, which would attach to the RPi and send a SPDIF signal to the DAC. Alternatively, just go from RPi directly to the SEG with a USB cable.

I'm Mike.

I'm using a Piano 2.1 and Kali Reclocker on my Allo Sparky and I prefer it to the Pi/Boss DAC combo I used previously.

But of course this is in my system and with my lugs so others might find they prefer the Boss combo.

I'm Mel.

I have the Piano and Boss and cannot really distinguish between them so don't see any point in replacing one with the other.

I have many of the rpi dacs and to be honest most of my friends cant hear a meaningful difference between any of them.

The most surprising combination is the rpi zero with a Pdat dac driven from a smart charger battery total cost new was under £20 when Maplin was closing.

Unlike Bonky I much prefer the Audiophonics sabre dac to any of the Allo combinations - I seem to remember reading Allo are moving over to Sabre on their new model but could be wrong.

Audiophonics build quality and support is much better than Allo in my experience.

Like Tony I have moved my cd music to hard disc (NAS in my case) and now enjoy the music rather than listening to the hardware. I use RPI, Bluesound and Naim streamers to listen depending on where I am.

I am now in the process of ripping my lp collection - but still love listing to the LP's

Mel

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I have the Piano and Boss and cannot really distinguish between them so don't see any point in replacing one with the other.

I have many of the rpi dacs and to be honest most of my friends cant hear a meaningful difference between any of them.

The most surprising combination is the rpi zero with a Pdat dac driven from a smart charger battery total cost new was under £20 when Maplin was closing.

Unlike Bonky I much prefer the Audiophonics sabre dac to any of the Allo combinations - I seem to remember reading Allo are moving over to Sabre on their new model but could be wrong.

Audiophonics build quality and support is much better than Allo in my experience.

Like Tony I have moved my cd music to hard disc (NAS in my case) and now enjoy the music rather than listening to the hardware. I use RPI, Bluesound and Naim streamers to listen depending on where I am.

I am now in the process of ripping my lp collection - but still love listing to the LP's

Mel
    Mel,

How do you find the Bluesoud compared to the Boss? I'm using a Boss V1.2 but like the idea of the Bluesound for some unknown reason.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Mel,

How do you find the Bluesoud compared to the Boss? I'm using a Boss V1.2 but like the idea of the Bluesound for some unknown reason.
    I have the first incarnation of the Bluesound streamer and doubt I will ever move it on. It actually sits in with my WAD KEL84 valve amp and WAD speakers and sounds lovely. Equally important the app is rock solid and has never given me any problems. It’s the device that got me hooked on streaming in the first place.

Is it better than a Boss ? - soundwise probably not a lot in it but if I had to choose only one to keep it would be the Bluesound.

To me I view RPI devices as fun portable music machines when partnered with headphones or Bluetooth speakers and ones which are great value for money and give high quality sound.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread