+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dac choice Schiit Modi Multibit vs Caiman II /SEG vs Chord Mojo

I'm Michael.

Default Dac choice Schiit Modi Multibit vs Caiman II /SEG vs Chord Mojo

I am pondering which DAC to buy to use with my new RPi and Digi+pro (parts arrived this morning).
    The Caiman has very good reviews as does the Schiit Modi Multi-bit.
    The Schiit Gungnir has even better reviews but is substantially more expensive but still tempting as a retirement present.
    I currently use my SBT directly connected to a Leak Stereo 20 but I have a Border Patrol SE300B to repair which I feel would
    warrant a top quality source. I would prefer to spend the money on a replacement for my DIY valve pre however. I will need a pre when I
    replace my damaged cartridge.

Michael

I'm Michael.

I have a Schiit Gungnir multibit which I am happy with. I am using it with ye olde CD transport. I also have an ifi sp/dif purifier plugged in the Schiit coax socket which does make a difference. Digital nasties are a thing of the past As you say all your other choices have had good reviews. The new Caimen seg is also getting good reviews on here at present. I choose the Schiit Gungnir because it has balanced outs as my stuff is digital and suits balanced operation. Have you thought of the Gungnir sigma delta which is at a lower price. All your other choices are sigma delta. I have other dacs and the ifi sp/dif purifier improves them all. You will probably get good results with any of your choices I expect. I've heard a whisper that Schiit are about to launch a pre amp which will be most likely a valve offering.

I'm Michael.

Thanks for your reply and the news about the pre-amp. Very interesting knowing the value for money Schiit normally provide.

I'm Mervin.

I'm a Caiman owner who happens to use SBT (Squeezebox Touch I presume), and have recently been replacing the SBT with RPi and other small embedded boxes, connected to Schiit DACs, so I might be able to offer some comments:

1. The Schiit multibit DACs are really good. I'm currently using a Gungir MB. If the user reviews are to be believed, you'll find the Modi multibit a major upgrade to the SBT.

2. Now the bad news - I've tried several RPi with squeezelite connected to various Schiit DACs, and unless things have changed dramatically, the USB->DAC issues inherent in RPi architecture will be a problem. No matter how much I tweaked the kernel and squeezelite parameters, I could not get click-free output. In contrast I set up a Pogolug E02, and with minimal tuning (buffer sizes only) I got perfect glitch-free playback.

3. I've also tried the Enhanced Digital Output patch to SBT to allow the use of USB->DAC. It's not totally glitch-free, and in spite of the chain being identical (USB to DAC), the Pogoplug -> Schiit sounded distinctly better to my ears. I was surprised. Bits somehow are not the same???

Good luck with your shopping. I'm now waiting for delivery of an Oroid C2 to test out as a replacement for the Pogos at home. The Pogos are very low power, and struggle when I have synchronised output in different rooms. Hopefully the C2 will address this.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinunca1 View Post
    I am pondering which DAC to buy to use with my new RPi and Digi+pro (parts arrived this morning).
    The Caiman has very good reviews as does the Schiit Modi Multi-bit.
    The Schiit Gungnir has even better reviews but is substantially more expensive but still tempting as a retirement present.
    I currently use my SBT directly connected to a Leak Stereo 20 but I have a Border Patrol SE300B to repair which I feel would
    warrant a top quality source. I would prefer to spend the money on a replacement for my DIY valve pre however. I will need a pre when I
    replace my damaged cartridge.

Michael

The drop in the value of the is going to affect the price of imported DACs very soon. Even the Caiman SEG is likely to see a price increase when the next production is completed. So it might be a good idea to buy very soon.

I'm Michael.

I read the HiFi World review on the Schiit Modi MB. They say it's excellent but users may find it bright and there is a distortion issue. Not being in a position to try before I buy I will have to give it a miss.
    Not sure about the Rpi issues.
    For sure everything is getting more expensive - good old BAT Brexit Added Tax.

I'm Michael.

Just came across my thread. I did buy the Modi MB in the end and I've been very happy with it. Now, after a couple of years I am thinking of upgrading.

I'm Phil.

frank is selling this , you might like to have a look

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morei...=66396&offset=
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /MSB s200 , / onkyo sacd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit freya pre , firebottle mono`s marantz sa8005 bel canto 3.5vbss and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands 3] harbeth p3esr /rotel

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    frank is selling this , you might like to have a look

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morei...=66396&offset=
    Thanks for notification. I did consider the Schiit Gumby.

I decided to go for the EC Designs UPL and MOS - both 16 bit and UTOS USB to optical converter https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/ A bit left field but the creator has many years of experience detailed on diy-audio and some very good dacs under his belt. These devices are battery powered so no worries about any mains borne nasties.
    Last edited by Avinunca1; 25-02-2019 at 22:22.

+ Reply to Thread