+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let this be a warning to you all

I'm Paul.

Default Let this be a warning to you all

Hi all

Take note of the following and be prepared

Most of us us are at that age were we will soon be facing either our parents or even our own mortality, double check all your documents if you are.

My wife's mother passed away recently in a care home, she had no house as in the UK that has to be sold to pay for her care home fees. We had her will appointing us as executors and that will split her wealth 50/50 between my wife and her brother who lives in Spain. We applied and was granted probate so was able to get access to the remainder of her money held by her bank ready the split it with the wife's brother. The suddenly out of the of the blue a letter arrived from a firm of solicitors who produced a newer will giving everything to her next door neighbour who she hated. They have some how managed to get her solicitor to change the will.

At the time the will was changed she was 92, profoundly deaf, almost blind and suffering from severe Dementia, and obviously in no fit state to change her will.

We have been advised by our solicitor that the is nothing we can do as a solicitor was involved and they are always above reproch.

In the time we had the money and thinking it was ours we paid off our mortgage and all our debts, so now not only have we got to pay it to these con artists but also lose our house to pay for the shortfall.

Anyone been through this in the UK, did you manage to win, who was your solicitor as I feel mine is just wrong, in saying the new will trumps the old and there is nothing we can do about it because it was prepared by a solicitor and the same one that did the first.

What was that solicitor thinking not even questioning when an elderly client suddenly want to change a will that gives everything to her own children and give it all to the none English family living next door, why did no alarm bells ring, why did she not even give us a call, just to check she was was not being duped or tricked in to this change, which she was.

Check all you documents if you are about to go through a family bereavement yourself, someone might be planning a surprise for you.

Paul

I'm Alan.

Terrible situation. I would guess your mother was non compos mentis at the time of the second will.

Take advice from the citizens advice bureau first, they have probably advised on similar situations. Good luck.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Mike.

If your mother-in-law had dementia and has been official diagnosed as such I expect that she has been declared not to have "Mental Capacity" If this is the case then she is not deemed to be able to sign or authorize any legal documents. You need to get her medical/mental records, did anyone have "power of attorney" just some thoughts you could think about. Best of luck.

Mike

I'm Martin.

Get a brief who knows what he is talking about, (not the CAB) don't sell anything, don't pay out a penny. It is a civil matter, you can't go to prison. If you point blank refuse to pay they will have one hell of a tme getting it off you. Wills get challenged and overturned all the time and it sounds like you have a good case.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Get a brief who knows what he is talking about, (not the CAB) don't sell anything, don't pay out a penny. It is a civil matter, you can't go to prison. If you point blank refuse to pay they will have one hell of a tme getting it off you. Wills get challenged and overturned all the time and it sounds like you have a good case.
    +1

Phone round and find a solicitor of good repute who is willing to take it on.
    Don't give up.
    Good luck.

I'm Grant.

I would listen to Martin on this. These things can be rechallenged. As for solicitors being above reproach... thats tosh. No one is automatically above reproach when it comes to cash. If she had dementia then fight it
    Last edited by struth; 30-09-2016 at 08:46.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

The Law is an Ass?

Wills are valid even if they are made when people are suffering from memory loss due to dementia, a judge ruled today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-dementia.html
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm graham.

A diagnosis of dementia doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't make a will. It depends whether they have 'testamentary capacity'. This is the legal capacity to make or change their will. The solicitor will make a decision about this, often after taking medical advice. seems mad to me but

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the replies, we have documentation showing she was diagnosed with dementia in 2012 and this new will was written in 2014.

We have sacked our current solicitor and now in the process of finding one with a record of success in these matters which our one obviously had not.

Anyone recommend a none London based firm with experience in this, don't fancy London Solicitors fees at £500 an hour.

Mind you we are talking a quarter of a million pounds so I could afford it if I won but not if we lost is all.

Thanks martin for the tip about it being a Civil Matter, perhaps I should just open an offshore account and hide it all for the next couple of years, until they find another old person to move next too, which I think they already have, as they are now renting out the house next door to the MI.

Paul

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Paul I am glad you have sacked your current solicitor

You can definitely contest the will even though you have a letter from a solicitor

I think the grounds for the will in question not being 'Valid' could fall into these areas: (1) The person making the will having a 'Lack of Mental Capacity' (2) 'Lack of Knowledge/Approval of the Terms of the Will' due to them being blind, deaf or illiterate (3) The person making the will was subjected to 'Undue Influence' where the person was pressured by another into making, or changing the will

I have been looking into this for someone who wishes to contest a will so have read loads about it

Don't give up as from what I have read you have a very good case to have this will deemed 'Invalid'

A lot of solicitors now work on a 'no win no fee' basis so that might be worth looking into
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast