+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I have been playing both the Kali/2.1 and Kali/1.1 combinations today and switching between sample tracks, mainly alac cd rips but some high res DSD and FLAC also, but have heard no clicks. I also run from a NAS via a switch (actually 2 switches are between source and player). I am using Pi3 and Moode3.1 and controlling it via the mode app.

Mel
    Thanks for info Mel, a couple of questions though:
    • are you setting up your NAS as a source in Moode or accessing it through a upnp service such as Twonky or Asset?
    • was mode a typo and you meant to put Moode app, either way I haven't come across that app on android perhaps given your mention of ALAC you are using iOS?

I am planning to swap out my Pi 2 for a Pi 3 and try out Moode again because SQ seemed better listening to upsampled Suzanne Vega's Cracking through headphones but my wife can't understand why I visibly flinch when it skips! Is it just me or do others have a physical reaction to things like that? Sorry I digress!

I will also try attaching a USB drive to the Pi/Kali/Piano set up to see if it makes any difference - eliminate the variables one at a time 😀

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunicycle View Post
    Thanks for info Mel, a couple of questions though:
    • are you setting up your NAS as a source in Moode or accessing it through a upnp service such as Twonky or Asset?
    • was mode a typo and you meant to put Moode app, either way I haven't come across that app on android perhaps given your mention of ALAC you are using iOS?

I am planning to swap out my Pi 2 for a Pi 3 and try out Moode again because SQ seemed better listening to upsampled Suzanne Vega's Cracking through headphones but my wife can't understand why I visibly flinch when it skips! Is it just me or do others have a physical reaction to things like that? Sorry I digress!

I will also try attaching a USB drive to the Pi/Kali/Piano set up to see if it makes any difference - eliminate the variables one at a time ��
    The NAS is set as a source in in Moode.
    You are correct in suggesting it was a Moode browser being used to control the player and not an actual app (sorry for that mistake).

I also don't up sample unless I play DSD files which the Kali/Piano combo seems to need. All Moodes settings are otherwise default apart from the kernel being changed to advanced.

I'm Josie.

I can't upsample to 384Khz, nothing comes through whatsoever.

Right now I have it disabled.

Using Pi2, Kali, Piano 2.1, Moode 3.1

Any ideas?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I can't upsample to 384Khz, nothing comes through whatsoever.

Right now I have it disabled.

Using Pi2, Kali, Piano 2.1, Moode 3.1

Any ideas?
    Seems weird. Is your music directly connected to the RPi via USB, or via the network?

I'm Josie.

It's USB.

? I'm confused.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunicycle View Post
    I will also try attaching a USB drive to the Pi/Kali/Piano set up to see if it makes any difference - eliminate the variables one at a time ��
    Good idea. My USB drive is directly attached, and occasionally if I'm very attentive I get the sense that a tiny skip has happened. Not enough to make me go 'ouch' though.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    It's USB.

? I'm confused.
    Had a thought: Does your Kali have the 22/24MHz clocks or 44/48MHz?
    If the former, it would be unable to go up to 384Hz.

I'm rupert.

or maybe the pi2 is struggling with the "Sox very high" setting

I'm Richard.

Default Pi 3 success

I have now swapped the Pi 3 running asset with Pi 2 on the Kali/Piano set up and on 1st impressions it seems to have illuminated both the clicking and skipping switching between tracks, all FLAC, of various types 16/44.1, 24/96 & 24/192 I have yet to hear any clicks or skips - using Moode 3.1 with max upsampling

Listening through headphones (it was 6:00 am!) I listened to one of my current favourites (Cara Dillon - Upon a Winter's Night - O Holy Night) as it is just 2 female voices a-cappella I thought any skipping would be very obvious and there was none. However there was some clicking, that of the singer's tongues against the tops of their mouths -is there a name for that noise?

I am still using the NAS - Asset upnp (pi2) - Pi3/Kali/Piano set up controlled with Bubble upnp on Android. I am sticking with this because I like the interface and smart way Asset handles "the", I couldn't go back to 80% of groups being listed under T.

The downside of switching the Pis is that indexing the music took longer but I may get another Pi 3 in the New Year or even wait until the next Pi version appears!

A couple of questions to finish with:
    -In this mode the 192k blue led on the Kali is permanently flashing - does this match others experience and is it OK? (Andre?)
    -In terms of 'burn-in' is there any point in setting up a long and varied playlist and just letting it run 24x7 without any output on i.e. power amp off?

Thanks and happy Christmas

Richard

I'm allo.

hi Richard,
    overall a great listening experience I gather.
    about your question, i will get back to you on Tuesday as my team is not available.

happy holidays to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast