+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Items That Have Been A Revelation on Your Hi-fi Journey

I'm Rob.

Sony MM cartridge equalizer EQ2. The first phono amp that brought my record player to life. A step up from the Gram Slee Amp 1 that it replaced.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Peter.

Easily the most memorable was hearing Quad electrostatics for the first time, circa 1970.

Other than that, hearing a couple of consumate sources of similar vintage ...
    A studio grade reel to reel tape recorder playing 2 track 15 ips master tapes ... blew vinyl away tbh.
    A live broadcasts on a top flight FM tuner that put me in the studio with the performers ... blew vinyl away tbh

It took the amazing Audio Note Io Ltd cartridge to convince me that maybe vinyl can compete with R2R and FM.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Easily the most memorable was hearing Quad electrostatics for the first time, circa 1970.

Other than that, hearing a couple of consumate sources of similar vintage ...
    A studio grade reel to reel tape recorder playing 2 track 15 ips master tapes ... blew vinyl away tbh.
    A live broadcasts on a top flight FM tuner that put me in the studio with the performers ... blew vinyl away tbh

It took the amazing Audio Note Io Ltd cartridge to convince me that maybe vinyl can compete with R2R and FM.
    I have heard and agree with your thoughts on all of the above Peter but for me the Decca has got the most out of my vinyl.
    There is something so very satisfying to the sound of high end R2R and I agree it's hard to beat a live broadcast on a top FM tuner when the BBC engineers nail the recording.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Phil.

Absolutely loving my Spendor S3/5r2's, Tisbury passive preamp/Quad 306 power amp, fed by Chromecast Audio (with either Spotify or my ripped CD's from laptop).

Never enjoyed listening to music as much I am now .

I'm Jonathan.

Hifi dealers in Norwich and Norfolk in the late 70s early 80s that let me sit and listen and understand what music could sound like and how components were made.

Making a pair of speakers in 6th form, having them tested by a manufacturer and being told they were as good as commercial models!

Getting back into vinyl after a 20 year gap and thoroughly enjoying the upgrades and new recordings available.

Zyx cartridges!

Valves, especially John Wood amp.

Latterly full range driver with horn loading delivering great bass.

I'm gone.

Amptastic Mini-T t-amp ... the first time I learned that a cheap (£50 in this instance) amp could sound better than well thought of multi-£k jobs.
    Xiang Sheng DAC-01A ... ditto for DACs, but at around £100. It's still my reference DAC having seen off all-comers up to £2k without breaking into a sweat.
    --- to be fair, the Beresford DACs had done a similar trick quite a few years before that.

Hearing MBL speakers at hifi shows. They became my dream - now happily attained.
    Last edited by jandl100; 25-09-2016 at 21:04.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    Absolutely loving my Spendor S3/5r2's, Tisbury passive preamp/Quad 306 power amp, fed by Chromecast Audio (with either Spotify or my ripped CD's from laptop).

Never enjoyed listening to music as much I am now .
    Good combo the Tisbury and 306. Sounds very Decent!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mika.

This is not such a easy question, or it is easy but not so simple one

During my beginning with this interest it was all about getting more and cleaner sound and I more or less aimed to "highend" world and digital sources. During the years I have learned about the music and how it reproduces in details. This I achieved at the beginning e.g. with Naim and Linn gear, and then some SET and single driver speakers. I have also adventured to the world of vinyl with many different takes and believe to analogue sound still. Later I found the classic monitor designs and different horn designs with quality tube amps. And still I'n trying to learn more every day.

So, I would say that my personal revelation is not bound to any single item of gear, more to the longish >25 year path with all the sidestepping and open minded investigation to different ways for reproducing the music and then trying to search my own personal nirvana from there..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Phil.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Good combo the Tisbury and 306. Sounds very Decent!
    Very true, for the money, an absolute bargain.
    CCA, Sony TA FB940R, Spendor S3/5r2.
    Quad 306, Tisbury, Rega Apollo CD.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    Absolutely loving my Spendor S3/5r2's
    I have to agree that Spendor S3/5R2's are splendid. Love mine too.
    Rob.