+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new amp and a 6L6/KT66/5881 query

lordmortlock Guest

Default A new amp and a 6L6/KT66/5881 query

Jerry was kind enough to sell me his lovely little lowther club Jazz 6L6 yesterday (thanks again for the hospitality J).

It's a wonderful little amp, and sounds quite brilliant into the odeons. Looking at the spec it'll take a good range of valves, so looking forward to having a play around. I've always preferred SET amps and so my experiences have primarily been with 300b/el84/211 etc. Any pointers with what to expect with kt66/5881 etc please?

I'm James.

Lovely looking amp there Jake. I would be lying is I didn't say I wasn't a wee bit jelous.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm gone.

Aye, it's a great amp -- and it almost drives my insensitive MBLs well on most music.

- as a cunning piece of salesmanship I took the amp round to Jake's place a few months ago, and he has been lusting after it ever since.

I bought it on t'Bay with RCA 6BG6 power valves supplied, the seller saying he preferred them to 6L6 the amp was named after. Having rolled a bit I have to agree, although I settled on the Brimar you see fitted there. Jake also has the original RCAs to play with. I didn't try any KT66 or 5881.

Best of luck and have fun with the rolling - I shall watch your progress with interest. Please keep us updated.

lordmortlock Guest

It's remarkably good with the rigolettos. It seems to manage to give most of the mid range purity and glow of 300b but with better extension top and bottom. I hadn't realised there was quite so many options open in terms of rolling. Spec here

http://www.lowther.com.hk/Jazz%206L6%20Amp.htm

In terms of new market brands I've always got on well with genalex gold lion, so very tempted to give their kt66 a run.

I'm Peter.

Gorgeous looking amp.
    Like the valve adapter thingies ...

I've had two amps that used KT66/5881 valves. A Quad II that was warm and soggy, and a WAD5881 that was a bit the opposite. Both push-pull, of course, so no conclusions
    Last edited by petrat; 23-09-2016 at 07:27.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Like the valve adapter thingies ...:
    Ah! As always, you have to go to the experts on these things - so that's the technical name for them,I did wonder.

I'm Peter.

Actually, they are more correctly called 'Doobries'.

I'm Neil.

Nice looking amp.
    Regards Neil

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Actually, they are more correctly called 'Doobries'.
    Steady on with the tech talk please chaps, you're losing me

+ Reply to Thread