+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low power output triodes

I'm paul.

As far as I know only KR make a new PX25.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Justin.

The KR PX-4 and PX-25 are gaining a very good rep with Lampizator owners.

EML 45 smooth plates and Philco 45s have been lacking in the bass region in my DAC. I am pretty sure it is a trait of the valve.

I know I am making remarks based on a DAC output stage but am pretty sure the character will show itself in higher power applications. I could be wrong, though.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    He makes gear under the Long Dog Audio brand. Gazjam on here has a rather nice 300b amp built by Nick.
    I've been trying to contact Drew who also has an amp from Nick , but with no response. Is he still around?

Also cant find any stuff on AOS on Gazjams amp.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Thanks Ali. I have read through all that and its very encouraging

I'm Charlie.

Apart from the usual suspects you can also have an one tube amplifier OTA using the EML 20B driver valve as a power valve. I have these in my 6W TRON Voyager - great sound quality and superlative build.

I'm Chris.

I'm getting a pretty good feel for which triode I want, probably a 45, but my thoughts now turn to recommendations for transformers, capacitors and resistors. My budget is OK but not limitless.

On the transformer side it looks like AI amorphous cores have a good following..

I'm Geoff.

Steve,

I have a number of systems and over the years have shifted between solid state and valve. Whilst I still love the immediacy and presence possible from a good valve design, I am increasingly uncomfortable with the "eco" overheads of valve amps and their low efficiency. Also, from a practical perspective, I have spent much of the last two decades working on development projects in tropical climates, where the heat output of typical valve amplifiers is both impractical and uncomfortable. However, I have recently purchased a fantastic pair of high efficiency monitors. They utilise a single Alnico full range driver and sound fantastic when driver by my Art Audio Quintet in triode mode. You mention that you have some chip amps which I know can sound very tube like. Can you recommend a good chip amp or possibly a low power SET that is more eco friendly?

Thanks

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12