+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backtracking on the cartridge front

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's more or less my view too Dave.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Grado carts yet. I've had quite a few vintage Grados and they have always been very musical. At one time my main carts were either Decca London Blue or ADC 10E Mk.IV (never did decide which I liked best) and I bought a Grado F3+ out of curiosity and it sounded lovely. One could almost describe it in character as sounding somewhere between the Decca and ADC in character. I have a nice Grado F1+ sitting in its box waiting to be used. Could be good!
    What colour stylus would you recommend for my F2? Stick with the original spec, or upgrade it to the gold?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What colour stylus would you recommend for my F2? Stick with the original spec, or upgrade it to the gold?
    Personally I'd stick with original spec styli. I've not used 'modern' Grados, but the impression I get from people who've made the comparisons, are that the vintage models have a bit more musicality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

The choice is the current replacement "Red" upgrade to the "Silver" which is what an F1+ would use or go straight for the "Gold".
    The original stylus has a bent cantilever, so is unusable in it's current state.
    Kevin

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Grado Prestige used to be three basic styli with two quality levels for each, hence the six models a few years ago. the two best ones for me were terminally dull sounding, and measured it too, so not just subjective but man people like this from vinyl. i thought the cheapest model, the Black, was the nicest as it had some bounce to it (in every sense but we'll move swiftly on). This was often the case with grado's, as even the cheapest 'nails' they made forty years ago (FC-E/FT and similar) were incredibly charming and cheeky in their reproduction and always entertaining.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    even the cheapest 'nails' they made forty years ago (FC-E/FT and similar) were incredibly charming and cheeky in their reproduction and always entertaining.
    I agree with that too. The lesser vintage Grados were plenty of fun.

As for replacements. Mantra Audio stock the full range of available Grado styli. I've dealt with them and found them helpful. I'm sure they'd advise on choices.

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...do_stylus.html
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

I will drop them a line.
    Thanks.
    Kevin

danilo Guest

Over the decades starting from mid 60's I've owned most all Shures made. Only saying that I kept trying to find a 'better' one as they All worked well enough in a Mid Fi manner.
    Typ Muddy bass, constrained highs and soundstage effects were rare and accidental.
    IMO Shure = One sound
    Went Grado (Shures were Off the market then) .. early 80s? Virtually identical sounds to the Shures
    Different appearance basically.
    Not tried a current Grado.
    Did Buy a laughably cheap AT 92cde as a lark.
    Hey! 20$ ..delivered.. from Amazon.
    Did take some fiddling about getting it set up (it's a P Mount with included adaptor) which proved piss poor setup wise.
    Once set It sounds Quite Good.. Better imo than my 'Old" grados by a lot! actually. Clear highs, defined bass and a consistent Soundstage.
    My AT95VL is a Further good step upwards from the AT92.. definitely of similar sounds/ tonal balance though..in case anyone wonders.

These AT's could tend to the bright however.. IF.. your setup is inherently bright.

Otherwise the balance is Good.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Grado Prestige used to be three basic styli with two quality levels for each, hence the six models a few years ago. the two best ones for me were terminally dull sounding, and measured it too, so not just subjective but man people like this from vinyl. i thought the cheapest model, the Black, was the nicest as it had some bounce to it (in every sense but we'll move swiftly on). This was often the case with grado's, as even the cheapest 'nails' they made forty years ago (FC-E/FT and similar) were incredibly charming and cheeky in their reproduction and always entertaining.
    Indeed. I tried a Prestige Black many years ago and thought it lousy but many years before that I had an FCE+1 which was superb, and only about £14 new at the time! It would take on some expensive carts if my memory of it's capabilities are even reasonably accurate...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12