+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My "REAL SOUND" experiment.

I'm Andrew.

Just another quick update! The REAL sound system has moved on a bit. I bought a new pair of these. I now have to wait 3 weeks for them to be delivered. I have already organised some Duelund DCA 16GA to wire them up. I borrowed the pair from my Tannoy 15" MG's and the results sound promising.

I also splashed the cash and bought some Duelund DCA12 GA speaker cable whilst should replace the thinner 16GA that I'd been listening to. Finally I decided to try some new EL34's in my Radford STA25 amp. I went over to https://brimaruk.com/ and bought myself a quad of EL34's. Have you seen the price of supposed NOS Brimar EL34's? Your look at £100+ a piece, I ordered 4 for £100.

I strongly recommend a visit to their webpage and learn about the machines that they shipped over back to the uk. Well the REAL sound system is coming along nicely. I've still not ordered the Bypass caps, that's for another day.

As ever, stay tuned!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Hi Andy

Been following your journey here, very interesting.
    A fan of the Duelund cable myself, using the 16Ga in a single run to my Impulse H2's, so interested to hear your take on the thicker 12 vs the 16.

Sometimes I wonder if the sound could do with a bit more "meat on the bone" sometimes, so maybe the 12 could be the way forward?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Andy

Been following your journey here, very interesting.
    A fan of the Duelund cable myself, using the 16Ga in a single run to my Impulse H2's, so interested to hear your take on the thicker 12 vs the 16.

Sometimes I wonder if the sound could do with a bit more "meat on the bone" sometimes, so maybe the 12 could be the way forward?
    no idea mate I'm in Disney land at the moment I ordered all the stuff as a treat for when I get back. I'm going bonkers queuing twelve hours a time for a two minute ride with my daughter . I will endeavour to report when I have a little time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

REAL SOUND EXPERIMENT - UPDATE!!

It's getting cold so it must be time for another update! The REAL sound experiment is developing quite nicely. My Taket Batpure super tweeters arrived.

1.jpg

I had an old piece of wood sitting in the garage and I liked it's rough organic look. I drilled a couple of holes and wired up the Duelund cabling for the supertweeters. Ten minutes later and we had the new Supertweeters plumbed into the Celestion Ditton 15 speakers.

2.jpg3.jpg

At this moment in time I don't think I can modify the 15's any further. I may by the Duelund bypass caps. Yes, silly money for a couple of caps but this experiment is all about working with and experimenting with the Duelund products. My attention was turned to the Radford STA Amplifier. I decided to pull out my Electroharmonix EL34's and replace them with some Brimar EL34's from https://brimaruk.com/ OK not Mullard EL34's but close. I also wanted to help out with the ultimate aim of the project which is to start valve production again in the UK. I now need to have a look at the remaining complement of valves for the Radford and dig out Mullard equivalents.

4.jpg

The REAL sound experiment is still in development and I'm hoping to have either a Garrard 301/401 to finish the project. I can then start listening and report
    back my findings.

Stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Grant.

I stuck my tweeters to side of cab. Worked well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Interesting.

How are you finding the Batpure STs so far? I also got a set but tbh don't find much difference but have not plugged them in for a few months now. The small difference I *thought* I detected were a slightly more defined image across the range. Difficult to blind test these though.

Also interesting you are trying the new Brimar EL34s. Did come across them but not yet bought a set. Still using JJs in my sta25. A big difference I did notice were replacing all the input valves for new. So interested to hear about your thoughts.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Interesting.

How are you finding the Batpure STs so far? I also got a set but tbh don't find much difference but have not plugged them in for a few months now. The small difference I *thought* I detected were a slightly more defined image across the range. Difficult to blind test these though.

Also interesting you are trying the new Brimar EL34s. Did come across them but not yet bought a set. Still using JJs in my sta25. A big difference I did notice were replacing all the input valves for new. So interested to hear about your thoughts.
    I've been a big advocate of the Taket Batpure's for ages and I originally started using them on my Tannoy 15" MG's several years ago. I noticed a "decent" improvement on the Tannoy's and they are still in place! I've tried them on the 15's and did notice a wider more spacious soundstage but they were wired with pure silver and not the Duelund tinned copper so the jury is still out. I've had JJ's before in my Sondex amp and I thought them to be ok but bettered with Genelex Gold Lions. The input valves on my STA25 are a mixture of Brimar and Electroharmonix. I'm going to have to search through my stash and see what I have in hiding!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Is the wire with the manky-looking insulation the Duelund?
    Barry

I'm Edward.

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I'll dig up my batpures and plug them in. I'm wondering if the cables I used on them are holding them back. Can't recall what I used.

The new input valves are ones that Will at Radford Revival supplied. I'm guessing that my previous ones, being quite old, had become a bit 'soft'.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is the wire with the manky-looking insulation the Duelund?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I'll dig up my batpures and plug them in. I'm wondering if the cables I used on them are holding them back. Can't recall what I used.

The new input valves are ones that Will at Radford Revival supplied. I'm guessing that my previous ones, being quite old, had become a bit 'soft'.

§
    Good luck, please comment about your experiences on my thread.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast