Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Grant VDC speaker cables

I'm Shaun.

Default Mark Grant VDC speaker cables

Just bought a 2m stereo pair of Mark Grant VDC loudspeaker cables from Shane here on AOS and got them today. Couldn't bloody wait to try them out so connected up and switched on. CD was Shpongle, Museum of Consciousness, and the inital 30 seconds or so was pretty good but then the sound just completely broke up into distortion. Switched off, put my original NVA LS5's back on and everything is brill again. Now I know from experience that some amplifiers and cables just do not mix so this may be one of those cases. This is in no way reflective of Shane. He sold me these cables and I willingly bought them. Shame they are not compatible.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Just bought a 2m stereo pair of Mark Grant VDC loudspeaker cables from Shane here on AOS and got them today. Couldn't bloody wait to try them out so connected up and switched on. CD was Shpongle, Museum of Consciousness, and the inital 30 seconds or so was pretty good but then the sound just completely broke up into distortion. Switched off, put my original NVA LS5's back on and everything is brill again. Now I know from experience that some amplifiers and cables just do not mix so this may be one of those cases. This is in no way reflective of Shane. He sold me these cables and I willingly bought them. Shame they are not compatible.
    I'm certainly no expert here but I can't see myself why such distortion means incompatible? Perhaps the cables are faulty in some way? Due to handling in postage?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Deleted.

As above; some amps (Naim, NVA, Spectral etc.) are not compatible with some cables but even if used they don't cause the reaction described.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    As above; some amps (Naim, NVA, Spectral etc.) are not compatible with some cables but even if used they don't cause the reaction described.
    Worst case I would expect the destruction of both the amp and speakers actually.... I have seen this happen with an NVA amp about 20 odd years ago.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default 'Firework show' for MiBO....

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics
    I have seen this happen with an NVA amp about 20 odd years ago.
    Ah that's interesting... It's a pity there won't be any of it there at MiBO, because as the show is on the 5th Nov, we could commemorate bonfire night!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Now I know from experience that some amplifiers and cables just do not mix so this may be one of those cases.
    Never good to hear of any problems but if you look at the specifications you have speakers are not really compatible with the high power amplifier.
    The amplifier specifies a minimum speaker impedance of 4 ohms and will output 300 watts per speaker at 4 ohms.
    The Kef Q500 have a nominal impedance of 8 Ohms with minimum impedance of 3.2 ohms claimed.
    see screen grab from Amazon:

back of amplifier that mentions 4 ohms:

Link to a webpage that measured the R700 ( similar 8 ohms nominal speaker) at 3.3 ohms with 10 feet/3.3 metres of cable:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/k...F5u2m1Hhub2.97

The 2 metre lengths of 4 mm2 van damme has a resistance of about 4.7 ohms per km that is about 0.005 ohms per metre + crimped banana connectors which don't add much resistance.

So I guess your previous cable and connectors had enough extra resistance and different inductance and capacitance measurements to work OK with the 4 ohms minimum of your amplifier where as a thicker and lower resistance cable doesn't add enough extra resistance onto to 3.2 ohms speakers. Most people want low resistance cable but in the case you need slightly higher resistance to add on to the 3.2 ohms to get it near the 4 ohms.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mark Grant; 24-10-2016 at 13:26.

I'm Shaun.

OK there is a further development to all of this.

Fired up the system tonight with the new valve preamp and the sound out of the right speaker crackled and cut out. OK, it cannot be the Grant cables after all. I swapped over the KEF's and fired up again expecting the crackles to change sides. Yeah...? The problem appears to have gone completely.

It is unlikely to be a dodgy speaker connection as I have now tried two different sets of cables so all that leaves is an interconnect but all I have done is swap over the KEF's.

Confused...? You bet...!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Worst case I would expect the destruction of both the amp and speakers actually.... I have seen this happen with an NVA amp about 20 odd years ago.
    There was a few years ago when Townsend Isolda was popular, until it blew certain amps up. :P

Read the manual hey!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

OK, tried the system out again tonight and the crackling and cut out occurred exactly as in the first instance so it is definitely not the KEF's. Decided to remove the Bushmaster from circuit and the crackle and cutout disappeared again. I think it is the Bushmaster that is faulty so at the moment I am using it on coax no3 and not coax no4 as was the case. However, the sound of the Bushmaster when it is working correctly is lots better than the Marantz I am using as a transport. I still hope to get around to reviewing the Mark Grant VDC cables at some point

I'm Shaun.

Default Mark Grant VDC cables

Comparison: NVA LS5 1.5m stereo pair against Mark Grant VDC 2.0m stereo pair

Music choice: Zero 7, Simple Things

The very first thing to really strike home here is the extra treble brightness of the VDC cables. The next thing is the much more forward upper midrange. This in turn leads to the third thing, a much more prominent level of detail in the mid and upper mid. Nothing about the bass struck home like these other notable differences did. On further listening it became very apparent that the treble and upper mid was much more clear and better defined with a nice crystallinity to it that made it very impressive. I think that these cables will really suit EDM dance music.

So, back to the NVA LS5 cables. Much more delicate treble and much more natural midband. Rather hollow and more reticent bass though. Far more relaxed vocals but not as precise stereo focus. Kind of like comparing valves with trannies.

Which do I prefer...? I don't know in all honesty. I think that the NVA cables are the best all rounders but I think that the VDC cables would so love electronic music.

Next step...? A session this weekend with Deadmau5.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast