+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Repairs, Retipping and Replacement Styli Suppliers. A list!

I'm Alasdair.

After a lot of happy listening my Tonar hyperelliptical G900 stylus wore out, so I sent it to Expert Stylus for retipping with their Paratrace line contact (£120). The sound is now even better still and, I suspect, fully the equal of a good original G900IGC. For anyone with an old G900IGC (or other G900 series cartridge) in the drawer and a suitably lightweight pickup arm I'd recommend this as a seriously good option.

I'm David.

This is a very useful thread. My Grado Reference Series Platinum 1 cartridge is poorly - occasionally, one channel increases noticeably in volume, suggesting that the cartridge needs a retip, or possibly that the cantilever is moving. Who would you recommend in the UK to inspect & repair this cartridge? Or would it be better to replace, either with a new Grado, or a high output MC?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberdade View Post
    This is a very useful thread. My Grado Reference Series Platinum 1 cartridge is poorly - occasionally, one channel increases noticeably in volume, suggesting that the cartridge needs a retip, or possibly that the cantilever is moving. Who would you recommend in the UK to inspect & repair this cartridge? Or would it be better to replace, either with a new Grado, or a high output MC?
    I would send it to Expert Stylus Company for their advice, but if you don't want to do that you can either contact Grado themselves, or contact a Grado dealer in the UK.

ESCo:
    Address: Harriotts La, Ashtead KT21 2QB
    Phone: 01372 276604

Grado:
    https://gradolabs.com/cartridges

Grado dealers in the UK:
    https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...artridges.html
    https://www.hifigear.co.uk/brand/grado/cartridges.html
    http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/grado.html
    https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/hifi/t...s/browse/grado
    Barry

I'm John.

My Trust is with Holistic Audio.
    I am more than impressed with their guidance offered, and as a result of taking their advice, I am totally satisfied with the comparative performances on offer, when A/B compared to the Cartridge that My one was produced to be a mimic variant of, if that is the correct description.
    A very rare unique built Cartridge, that was Limited Production, now has a Mimic Cartridge, built from a much easier to obtain Kb model, that is almost disguised as its much more exotic sibling.
    I would not hesitate to drop Kilian Bakker at HA a mail and get a assessment of the Grado.

I'm Ken.

Has any one used Northwest Audio - Carnforth, Lancashire?

I have an Ortofon MC20 Supreme that has sagging suspension, not quite bottomed out, but only useable on dead flat records.
    Nice cartridge, I would like to keep it, so looking for a new suspension and re-tip.

What am I likely to pay for this kind of work?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    My Trust is with Holistic Audio.
    I am more than impressed with their guidance offered, and as a result of taking their advice, I am totally satisfied with the comparative performances on offer, when A/B compared to the Cartridge that My one was produced to be a mimic variant of, if that is the correct description.
    A very rare unique built Cartridge, that was Limited Production, now has a Mimic Cartridge, built from a much easier to obtain Kb model, that is almost disguised as its much more exotic sibling.
    I would not hesitate to drop Kilian Bakker at HA a mail and get a assessment of the Grado.
    +1 Superb work, Kilian Bakker is a top guy to deal with, his work is top draw IME.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Ken.

Holistic Audio, are they in the Netherlands?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Holistic Audio, are they in the Netherlands?
    Yep, service is excellent !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Yep, service is excellent !
    2nd that. Kilian's top drawer. Rebuilt my Linn Troika when the suspension collapsed.

I'm Paul.

I bought an retipped Benz Micro Glider L2 and HA103CL from Holistic Audio. Kilian is a kind and patiënt person.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast