+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Releasing my inner Tannoy (Eaton Clones )

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Geoff, the surrounds are rubber I'll post the serial numbers sometime if anyone is interested. I have a spare dust capb it it is darker than the others so may well cut it off.
    Tannoy were notorious for mixing batches of drivers, the serial numbers are very unlikely to be close, not that it matters.

Just my opinion, but if it's a choice between dust caps or not, I'd go without. It won't hurt the speakers and adds a tiny bit more clarity to the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Default nerdy reflex port question

Ok so the plans I have have the bass port extending into the speaker for 80mm from the back of the sub baffle. So to the front of the main baffle the port length is 116mm.

So if I double the main baffle thickness to 36 mm should I shorten the port length inside the box by the same amount to keep the same tuning or will it make next to no difference ?

Any adviceg gratefully received!

Thanks

I'm Geoff.

If the cabinet volume is reduced, the port tube needs to be longer to retain the same resonance point. Cone amplitude and port output levels are likely to change.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks

Internal volume will stay unchanged so I guess the port length is unchanged overall to?

Seems sensible but I know nothing is always as it seems!

I'm Geoff.

If the cabinet retains the design volume, the port should be as standard.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

No time to do anything until next week now, however in the meantime these have arrived!

IMAG1267[1].jpgIMAG1270[1].jpgIMAG1266[1].jpgIMAG1269[1].jpg

I'm Martin.

They look like some quality binding posts.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

danilo Guest

Ok so the plans I have have the bass port extending into the speaker for 80mm from the back of the sub baffle. So to the front of the main baffle the port length is 116mm.

So if I double the main baffle thickness to 36 mm should I shorten the port length inside the box by the same amount to keep the same tuning or will it make next to no difference ?

Thanks
    Doubling the Baffle thickness to 36mm Will make NO audible differences ..
    Unless possibly to champher the edges of the Driver cutout to continue the Cones' curvature as an expotential horn.. Tricky to effect though
    10's were Bass constrained, certainly so for a DC.
    A larger box would be The best possible upgrade.

I'm Grant.

Thanks
    If the extra thickness is on the outside then the port should stay same to keep what you have. If the internal size goes down a bit then you may have to adj it a bit.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    10's were Bass constrained, certainly so for a DC.
    That is true of the IIILZ, but the HPD 295A is capable of some proper bass output in the right box. I know what they can do as I've owned many pairs. The bass performance is superior to early 12" Monitor Golds, which I've also possessed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast