Closed Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley & JC's assorted musings

Default Ashley & JC's assorted musings

I don't think any of us have any idea how well or how badly hi fi retailers are doing at the moment so we can only guess, using the bits of gossip we hear as a guide. I understand that many are changing direction and continue to do well as a result, others are making it last till they retire and so on.

All we can say with any certainty is that future of hi fi (and I mean proper high quality sound reproducing equipment, not basic commercial) revolves around its integration with photography, Movies, TV and Music via a properly designed home computer. At the moment TV and computers are beginning to converge and hi fi, because of it's silly attitude is being marginalised and may soon fall behind. Many have already found that some iPods with good headphones are better. (141 million now sold).

At the moment Computer Shops, Hi fi Shops and TV shops don't overlap, however online retailing is growing exponentially. Hi Fi manufacturers seem to see some future in hi end servers, which makes no sense to me as Hifidelio did really well for a time and then went bust as people realised, they'd be better off with a computer.

Many feel that there is a move away from separates and upgrades, that young people see playing CD's, never mind vinyl as dotty and Hi fi shops are selling unfashionable upgrade type products to an ageing and decreasing minority, while a surprising number of all ages have discovered that even the digital output from a PS3 is as good as any hi end transport!

Mr C's market and the products discussed on this message board are statistically insignificant by comparison, where ADM9's offer not only improved sound quality at reduced cost but have almost certainly anticipated the future.

Ash

So what are those of us that have no interest in photography, TV and movies going to do with these all in one apple TV things then?

I had a house full of ''young people'' over the weekend, as in my son's arrived with assorted mates, girlfriends etc. The most common comment was how nice to have a living room without a TV, and how good even my modest vinyl set up sounds. Oddly enough, out of the 8 of them, only one had an I-Pod, and it seems that is because he is an ''apple fanboy', the others either, to quote them, avoiding them like the plague, or chose something other than apple product. To paraphrase my elder son's comment, apple fans are worse than Naim sheep.

The products discussed on this message board my well be statistically insignificant, as I assume are the sales of volvo rag top cars, real beer's etc, but they continue to sell, keep people employed making them, and presumably make a profit for the makers.

Mass market never has, and never will, mean best, well unless you believe the hype of the marketers that want you to believe them
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good post, Colin.

I'll add my tuppenceworth later.

Apple TVs? They'll never replace my hi-fi system (oh how even the very notion is ridiculous) or likely even make my living room TV/DVD player set-up!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Colin the point is that what you condescendingly call mass market is actually just as good for sound quality and a hell of a lot better to use.

You're using a computer to discuss this so would presumably be even happier with a much better, easier to use and more versatile one that took up less space.

And if you read my piece more carefully you'll see that I qualified exactly the area I was referring to; High quality sound reproducing equipment, NOT basic commercial is what I said and meant. The thread is in relation to hi fi Shops.

Ashley

PS. Marco is talking through his hat, it isn't a good post and I didn't mention Apple TV and he's never used one so shouldn't be commenting on it till he knows what it can do and how well it works.
    Last edited by Ashley James; 21-04-2008 at 14:30.

Ashley,

It is indeed a very good post. Because Colin has summed up how many people, certainly on here, feel.

What you need to grasp is that some people use computers RELUCTANTLY as an essential tool for communication in modern life, or at work, for obvious reasons. They're not in love with them like you are. Therefore the LAST thing they want is to use a bloody computer, too, as their main source of music in their hi-fi systems!

The above has got nothing whatsoever to do with sonic performance or convenience - it's about something much more fundamentally 'human' than that - something which, with respect, I doubt people of your mentality will ever grasp.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley James View Post
    The thread is in relation to hi fi Shops.

Ashley
    So you actually acknowledge what the thread is about, wonders will never cease. So we can ignore all your claptrap about AVI and ADM9 etc as completely irrelevent, thank goodness for that.

You and JC are basically just walking marketing disease at its worst. But admin wants to pad the forum with any crap he can get so you get away with it!

Anyway back on subject - the original post refered to retailers not hi-fi retailers - it is nothing to do with *your* products that hi-fi retailers are failing, but I am sure you really cannot see past your ego to anything sensible. IT IS ALL RETAILERS (apart from Tesco) and the cause is a recession and changing public buying habits which I am sure will effect AVI as well.

You and JC are basically just walking marketing disease at its worst. But admin wants to pad the forum with any crap he can get so you get away with it!
    Erm, Richard, that's not the case at all. We happen to believe that all three of you have some valuable experience and expertise to offer members - if people can see through the various agendas...

Everyone here has an 'asset to liability ratio'. At the moment it's favourable, as far as you three are concerned, but that can quickly change!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    So what are those of us that have no interest in photography, TV and movies going to do with these all in one apple TV things then?

I had a house full of ''young people'' over the weekend, as in my son's arrived with assorted mates, girlfriends etc. The most common comment was how nice to have a living room without a TV, and how good even my modest vinyl set up sounds. Oddly enough, out of the 8 of them, only one had an I-Pod, and it seems that is because he is an ''apple fanboy', the others either, to quote them, avoiding them like the plague, or chose something other than apple product. To paraphrase my elder son's comment, apple fans are worse than Naim sheep.

The products discussed on this message board my well be statistically insignificant, as I assume are the sales of volvo rag top cars, real beer's etc, but they continue to sell, keep people employed making them, and presumably make a profit for the makers.

Mass market never has, and never will, mean best, well unless you believe the hype of the marketers that want you to believe them
    well said that man!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ashley,

It is indeed a very good post. Because Colin has summed up how many people, certainly on here, feel.

What you need to grasp is that some people use computers RELUCTANTLY as an essential tool for communication in modern life, or at work, for obvious reasons. They're not in love with them like you are. Therefore the LAST thing they want is to use a bloody computer, too, as their main source of music in their hi-fi systems!

The above has got nothing whatsoever to do with sonic performance or convenience - it's about something much more fundamentally 'human' than that - something which, with respect, I doubt people of your mentality will ever grasp.
    Marco.
    I must say that I hated PC's but Mac's changed all that. I think the fundamental difference between us is that I love music not equipment or playing with equipment. Computers make more music more accessible more easily and take up less space.

Ash

PS, And I'll never understand how anyone could waste time with vinyl!

Richard, I'm not sure whether I can welcome you back but I'll see how it goes, since you have mentioned me specifically. Personally I'm inclined to think that you have some challenges to meet as far as interaction with other people is concerned and from what I've seen I would not like to be left alone with you. Maybe you feel able to comment on this if you think you should.

As for calling me a "walking marketing disease at its worst" I can assure you that my involvement with AVI is simply that of an informed user.

It's true that Marco begged Ashley and myself to return from our boycott, but it has gone reasonably well since. Lets all try and do our best for AoS.

the cause is a recession and changing public buying habits which I am sure will effect AVI as well.
    On the contrary, I get mail from many sources asking me for advice on digital music library's for hifi use, it is the only part of hifi which is spreading like wildfire, and Ashley tells me that anyone who sees it done properly is immediately enthusiastic.

With respect Richard, I think your products are as weird as you are and not for me, but If I were you, I think I would try and stay in business exactly as you are doing. I am sure you have your followers.

Regards JC.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast