+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very High efficient loudspeakers

I'm Clive.

It becomes so much easier splitting a 2-way. The current speakers I run are not listed below....they are baffleless, the wideband single driver is 94db and directly connected the amp (no crossover). The dual 15 inch basses are driven via a class D amp with DSP, this crosses over at 300Hz 12db. The wideband works better with the DC blocking cap set to filter frequencies below 400Hz but this is only really beneficial when playing very demanding music very loudly. The basses have room correction applied and "dynamic eq" which operates somewhat like a loudness control, turning up the bass at low volume. It's more more complex to set up than a simple 2-way all-in-one speaker but ultimately it's a heck of a lot more flexible. This way too I can use a relatively low power amp for the wideband speaker.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, I can get silly load with the 4w amp and the 96dB Akais - but the amp is well into soft clipping. Played more quietly I get a much better quality of sound. I don't see the point of having a low powered valve amp and clipping it all the time. Get more power or more efficient speakers.
    Depends how loud you want it i guess...my drivers are only 8watt rated. Amp is d type and produces a lot so ive to be careful not to turn it up too high.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Clive I agree that that is a very flexible set up and makes sense on a number of levels. What would you say, though, to those who reckon the digital processing kills the sound? I don't have enough experience with it myself to say one way or the other.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

Clive I agree that that is a very flexible set up and makes sense on a number of levels. What would you say, though, to those who reckon the digital processing kills the sound? I don't have enough experience with it myself to say one way or the other.
    I don't have enough experience with DSP in the mid to be able to comment on that....the mid is where I want purity so I keep it simple. As for DSP on the bass, if you need to control room modes (mine are bad as the room is close to square with a low ceiling) then DSP can only be a far lesser evil than a bad room. I'm getting totally stunning bass from bafflesless bass drivers, even a small (open) baffle seems to impart colouration. The speakers look a little "functional".

Here's a poor photo with our puppy exiting the room to avoid the bass.

Last edited by Clive; 01-08-2016 at 16:30.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Martin.

Looks interesting - but how do you avoid putting the midrange though the DSP when there is only one driver for both?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Clive.

Looks interesting - but how do you avoid putting the midrange though the DSP when there is only one driver for both?
    The 15 inchers are the bass drivers with the XO in the bass DSP amp set to 300Hz. The small driver on top of the bass driver is the wideband driver driven by a Bantam One amp. The photo is not too clear....
    Last edited by Clive; 01-08-2016 at 17:21.

I'm Martin.

I understand now. You did explain that earlier, in fact. WAF is through the floor, but who cares? And it does all make perfect sense. The full range driver is just run full range but the open baffle will roll of whatever little bass it does do so you won't get any overlap I guess.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Interesting Clive, would you be able to describe the sound of the speakers?
    Thanks.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Clive.

I understand now. You did explain that earlier, in fact. WAF is through the floor, but who cares? And it does all make perfect sense. The full range driver is just run full range but the open baffle will roll of whatever little bass it does do so you won't get any overlap I guess.
    WAF is a lost cause with these! The wideband starts to roll off at 1kHz, the bass filtered at 300Hz with a 12db slope results in nice straight line when I measure with my calibrated mic.

I'm Chris.

My experience with DSP is that results are in general quality/cost related. Cheap systems are little more than exotic graphic equalisers, but systems like TACT take microphone measurements of room imperfections and offer you a range of solutions which you listen to and perhaps tweak in order to perfect the right settings. Some TACT systems allow control of separate subs and crossovers. I found that any minor drop in absolute sound quality was more than compensated for by getting the Hi Fi to play properly in the room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123