+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Floorstanders - 2 way or 3 way ?

I'm Geoff.

There has been the odd big vintage multi way JBL that I've liked. The Avant Garde Trio with the big bass unit sounds incredibly good (well, it actually just sounds incredible). The old Spendor S100 was very sweet too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

I like the Edingdales. they are I think 3 mid/bass drivers and tweeter, but 2 way. Sound superb with most setups, although I think room needs to be decent sized if your using any power. A bit like mine really,
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I quite like a 2 way with passive bass, as in my Cara's, but I'm mostly into 1 way. 3 way does make xover points more complicated, and very important to get right.
    But using a driver just for the mid band means you can put the crossovers at less sensitive positions in the frequency range. Hearing is most sensitive 1-3 KHz which is where your two way usually crosses over. A Tannoy DC is in practice a three-way and the crossover is below 1Khz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A Tannoy DC is in practice a three-way
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

I know mine are quite sweet, at there price point martin. Not a huge bass line but I like that. Ive not used them for some time, but dont feel I want to sell, as they are the best set of their type Ive had, at anywhere near pricepoint.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

danilo Guest

A Tannoy DC is in practice a three-way and the crossover is below 1Khz.
    Late Night? ... perhaps.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The combination of the horn throat and the inner circumference of the cone effectively makes a mid-range driver. You'd need someone like Paul RFC to explain the exact technicalities.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The combination of the horn throat and the inner circumference of the cone effectively makes a mid-range driver. You'd need someone like Paul RFC to explain the exact technicalities.
    3 divided by 2 is 1.5 and that's not right either!

I'm Andre.

I am a 3 way fan. But resently had a listen to the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F which is a 2 way construction, and they sounded incredible to my ears. 1 horn and 2 x 8" bass/midrange.

Not many hi-fi manufacturers use such large woofers to also play the midrange as it may cause phase problems and a very narrow scatter characteristic in the upper midrange area. Klipsch solved this by sliding the crossover frequency between these and their tweeters down to a low 1.750 Hz.

Their sound aside; the cabinets are very deep, and need a good distance from the wall - so they would take up to much room and be to dominant in my livingroom.
    Last edited by Sabaselfsit; 30-07-2016 at 00:48.
    Marantz HD-DAC1 -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Analogue -> Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II -> JBL Balboa 30

I'm Andrew.

I favour 3 or more way speakers myself. Has to be done well but when done well its the mutts nuts.
    Let the tweeter do the treble, the mid do the mid and woofer do the bass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast