+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats vinyl all about? Liked this explaination...

I'm Gary.

Default Whats vinyl all about? Liked this explaination...

Liked this...
    Very smart but explains the vinyl "thing" very well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/te...over-them.html
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

good starting point I guess Gaz. Not sure about a stylus wearing out in 600/800 hrs though... More like 2000 in my opinion. Ive never worn out a stylus
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    good starting point I guess Gaz. Not sure about a stylus wearing out in 600/800 hrs though... More like 2000 in my opinion. Ive never worn out a stylus
    Same here. I've never worn a stylus out. 2000hrs would be a minimum if records are clean and appropriate downforces are employed I'd say.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Totally true guys....was just impressed that some kid interested but still "skim reading" about vinyl would pick up all the basics from that article.
    Liked the sharp prose and the way he distilled down the basics.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Good read for newstarts and others though. Its not totally accurate but what is? hopefully it will remove a lot of the fear and more will pick up the needle
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The kid was trying to sound like he knew what he was blathering on about, and threw in what he thought would be a few attractive buzz words and names.
    When I saw the name Clearaudio Master Reference the game was up - I've yet to hear one of the statement TTs from Clearaudio actually sound decent ....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

My thougts too.
    meanwhile...

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The kid was trying to sound like he knew what he was blathering on about, and threw in what he thought would be a few attractive buzz words and names.
    When I saw the name Clearaudio Master Reference the
    game was up - I've yet to hear one of the statement TTs from Clearaudio actually sound decent ....
    I know, I know....
    but as a PRIMER "to da kidz" its not the worst I've read?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I know, I know....
    but as a PRIMER "to da kidz" its not the worst I've read?
    I'd be more inclined to describe it as a fair approximation of what's going on, and a pleasant, but not definitive or authoritative version of what's going on.
    Yes, I'm a hard taskmaster, but that's what I think.

There's no substitute for proper research, and the author's research probably consisted of going to Starbucks or Costa, asking "can I get?" (this particularly pisses me off, this use of language as a weapon - the response from the staff should be "no Sir, I'll get it for you. Now what would you like to have?", and repeat this answer until the bastard finally conforms to acceptable use of English, and asks if he could please have whatever it is that he fancies) for his frothy milky drink (it ain't coffee, that's for sure), and then spent 2 minutes on his iWhatever browsing t'interweb before typing up this collection of part truths.

Da kidz are a lot brighter than the dumbed down world they inhabit gives 'em credit for.
    Lowest common denominators are not something to aspire to.
    The best fruit is usually just out of reach, and takes a little thought to get hold of.
    The article was low enough to grab without thinking too hard about it.

On the flip side of this, my son much prefers to listen to recorded music from vinyl records.
    A nice, fresh copy of The Blues Brothers movie soundtrack turned up at ours today, and it sounds awesome. Much, much better than the files ripped from the CD.
    There are a few kidz that get regular exposure to analogue music playback, and who knows, they may yet prove to be its salvation.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread