+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Croft Amp

I'm Peter.

Yes, the Oto SE is quite special at its price point.
    Have you heard it with its 'natural' partner speakers, the AN AZ3H?
    http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html

I'm howard.

Deffo worth picking a JJECC82 up. Glenn installs them as a lower gain alternative and they made a big difference in sound signature for me.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Yes, the Oto SE is quite special at its price point.
    Have you heard it with its 'natural' partner speakers, the AN AZ3H?
    http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html
    Hi Peter... No I have not heard the AZ3's with the Oto however I did have a pair of AN speakers but I cannot for the life of me remember if they were the AN-J's or AN-K's but they did not work at all well in my room; they were just 'boomy' and sounded really awful in my room

I loved them in the room I heard them in but could not replicate the sound... It's the pair of speakers that I owned for the shortest time

Have you heard the AZ2/3's with the Oto ?
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    What's so sad with the SET conversion anyway

I think your 'handle' on the Croft is spot on, with definite benefits accruing from moving up the range.
    To compete with a good Class A you have to look further up the range, IMO.

Thanks Alan for saying that I got the Croft 'spot on'... I always find it very difficult to try and assess any new piece of hifi but I did try to convey, the best I could, what I experienced with the Croft amp in place

As to being a 'sad' SET convert? well I just thought, from reading on the net, that SET 'people' are supposed to be a rather sad lot... well I don't consider myself as 'sad' but I do think that my AN has a certain 'something' which is actually quite tricky to explain.. I think it has lots of 'feeling' and 'expression' that I have not been able to replicate with any other amp I have tried out so far and as those qualities are obviously important to me I will be staying the the AN for a while yet

The only thing I wish I could do is to drive some 'other' speakers... I have a list of 'other' speakers I'd like to try... but I know I cannot with the Oto.. I will probably learn to live with that though..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234