+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

Default The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

The latest version of the Caiman SEG has just been released, following up on original TC-7520 based Caiman SEG. Like the previous version, the new SEG is a completely new design of the PCB with previous modifications to the Caiman now part of the factory built DAC, plus additional bits that can't be added or won't fit in the standard unit. For those of you not familiar with the original Caiman SEG: it was and still is a rare unit. They hardly ever show up for sale on forums or eBay. Most owners seem to have hung on to their SEG over the years.
    The new SEG is following the same principle, which is to take the initial Caiman design plus most or all of the mods, and add several improvements that can't be fitted to the standard Caiman for practical or technical reasons.
    The Caiman GFU and SEG are to all intense and purposes nearly the same sound wise when using the fixed output. So if it is mainly the sound from the DAC section that is of importance to potential SEG buyers, then the GFU would be the more economically viable option.
    The SEG was designed in order to solve some issues that some customers were having with the Caiman MKII that could not be solved with DIY modifications. Some of them were very minor things, but important enough in the mind of customers for them to hold out against getting a MKII. A quick breakdown of some of them are:
    The gold plated buttons are chrome on the SEG.
    The filtering of any noise from the external power supply has been improved from 20mV to just 1mV before the regulators.
    The SEG will work with any externally regulated DC voltage between 12V to 15V, and provide extra signal headroom on the variable outputs ( = headphone and pre-amp output) with the higher voltage. That's because the brickwall clamping of the 12V regulator of the Caiman MKII has been removed.
    The headphone amp section now has an adjustable preset so that the gain can be adjusted to taste for the sensitive ears. The standard output on the Caiman MKII was in many cases a bit to loud for some headphone users. I developed a fixed mod for that for the MKII, but the SEG has an adjustable gain instead.
    A lot of people are now using the MKII as a pre-amp. But the MKII variable output section is a simple design that can't really compete sonically with a well designed pre-amp. The SEG pre-amp section was the main reason for designing a new PCB. In order for a pre-amp to stand a chance of sounding good to excellent, it has to be thought out properly. The pre-amp in the SEG has separate left and right signal, ground, and power lines, which is what you are likely to find in the better designed pre-amps. The advantages of splitting the left and right signal paths are numerous. Do search with Google for more info on that subject. The active part of the pre-amp section is also fully made up of discrete transistors, instead of using an opamp.
    Other minor improvements are in the firmware. You can now store individual sound processing options for each signal input. On the MKII you only have the choice of one selection across all inputs.
    The LED dimming function is now exactly as described: it dims. On the MKII it is either ON or OFF. Customers asked for the LED to be dimmed so that they could still see which input was operating.
    Another thing that people wanted was the ability to use the DAC with perhaps a vintage amp that does not have the 2Vrms CD input that can be found on later amp designs ( i.e. after 1983). So the pre-amp output on the SEG can be set to about 10AM to 12PM on the volume dial, and the output connected to the LINE of AUX input on an amp that does not have a CD input. You can however use the pre-amp audio buffer into a CD input as well. In that case set the volume control to MAX. The sound will be 3dB down though. So you'll need to turn the volume up a bit on your amp.
    The audio output on the SEG now has a discrete buffer stage that is connected to both the headphone amp and pre-amp. It offers better loading of the audio signal before driving the headphone and pre-amp section. Many high-end headphone users asked for an improvement to the headphone output that could come close to the Capella. The audio buffer also gives a better performance with high-end interconnects, compared to the MKII.
    Last edited by StanleyB; 23-07-2016 at 17:36. Reason: added additional info that was not previously available

I'm Jerry.

Sorry to get the threads mixed up Stan. Here is a photo to show off its new appearance.
    SEG.jpg
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I have one on active duty for listening to my HD800 when I am in the office doing paperwork. The higher 15V setting on the eBay sourced linear power supply helps the HD800 produce some amazing sound.

I'm Jerry.

Can you give the details of the battery you use Stan? The Anker is a pain, I have to unplug it then plug it in again every time I listen to music. Also its 12/16v so I dont think I would chance the higher voltage.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I use an Ankaka battery when I am on battery power. The power supply you see in the picture is actually a linear power supply that was discussed in http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ar-PSU-roundup
    The more effective RF filter in the SEG helps to improve the performance of this PSU, compared to when it is used on the Caiman MKII or the Bushmaster.

There is however a concern that it has no earth connection. The more up to date version of that power supply appears to have had that issue corrected. I found the best price for the updated one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/131034415051...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    From the pictures it is possible to see the addition of the earth wire from the mains AC socket on the back of the unit.

That power supply is also of the same height as the Caiman SEG after you have removed the massive rubber legs on the bottom of the case. Sound wise I get a bit more oomph on 15V from that linear PSU than from the 12V battery. The Mark Grant 15V and the Lurcher/MCRU 15V linear power supplies that I got have also been given a try. They sound fantastic, and are perhaps the ultimate match. But this el cheapo linear psu is a good entry level item that I prefer over the battery when listening to headphones especially. The extra headroom from the 15V also suits my NS1000M, with loads of bass depth and definition. The soundstage also appears to be a bit wider when used in this configuration.

I'm Andrew.

My SEG arrived today. Will plug in an listen this afternoon.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm john.

Got mine today as well just running in

jon

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I use an Ankaka battery when I am on battery power. The power supply you see in the picture is actually a linear power supply that was discussed in http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ar-PSU-roundup
    The more effective RF filter in the SEG helps to improve the performance of this PSU, compared to when it is used on the Caiman MKII or the Bushmaster.

There is however a concern that it has no earth connection. The more up to date version of that power supply appears to have had that issue corrected. I found the best price for the updated one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/131034415051...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    From the pictures it is possible to see the addition of the earth wire from the mains AC socket on the back of the unit.

That power supply is also of the same height as the Caiman SEG after you have removed the massive rubber legs on the bottom of the case. Sound wise I get a bit more oomph on 15V from that linear PSU than from the 12V battery. The Mark Grant 15V and the Lurcher/MCRU 15V linear power supplies that I got have also been given a try. They sound fantastic, and are perhaps the ultimate match. But this el cheapo linear psu is a good entry level item that I prefer over the battery when listening to headphones especially. The extra headroom from the 15V also suits my NS1000M, with loads of bass depth and definition. The soundstage also appears to be a bit wider when used in this configuration.
    I need the dual output that the Anker and Ankaka provide as the SB Touch benefits from battery supply (IMHO) so I dont think I will be going down the linear supply route.
    Jerry

I'm Andrew.

Stan,

The SEG sounds stunning, instant improvement over the Caiman II, but, you mention in the manual that the SEG will work with PSU's upto 13V but you mention using a 15B external PSU. I'm running a Anker battery and it's producing great results. Are you now saying 15V is better due to the stonewalled 12V being removed from the SEG? I'd be running the new 15V PSU through a PS Audio P10 so the power supply should be very clean and well regulated. I'd be happy to upgrade upto the PSU over the Anker battery for the price of the recommended 15V you highlight if you think that would be a better solution.

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gareth.

How do I order one of these? I can't locate it on the website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast