+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passives pre-amps Hattor vs Tortuga vs Django?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Music used and panellists seemed to be classical only, so considerations of reproducing rock and other genres might have been given a low priority - but hey, it's not as if it isnt usually the other way round
    True enough - and the type of music used won't make any difference in any case.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedroog View Post
    Good day,

Wondering if anyone had compared these three? I am to be in the market for a passive pre, ideally with balanced output and remote for volume and these seem to to be the obvious choices. I realise the Tortuga uses LDR but any direct comparison?

Aside from the features I'm looking for the the obvious detail of passives without any lack of dynamics.

I plan to use with a DDDAC 1794 DAC and only require the single source to Event Opal monitors, I was thinking the likes of the Lightspeed and Stereo Coffee as a stop gap but think, as a remote is important I'll just get my final aim.

I was happily using a Croft 25 for years but in my current set-up I found passive pres my preference, the Croft while good in areas was muddied in comparisonto both an Icon and Tisbury passive which in turn I preferred to nothing compared to an M-DAC which will be replaced by the DDDAC.

With thanks.
    The Icon passive can be had with a remote. Bizarrely we thought it sounded better with power to the remote motor than without

I'm Christian.

Thanks Nial, I have been waiting for this and actually forgot. I'll pick one up and the airport, off on holiday : )

Paul - That is a great point, I really liked the Icon, I just wonder how the likes of those I mentioned compare given they're typically about double the price. There was certainly a step up from the Tilbury to Icon, subtle but there.

I'm Lee.

Been using a Hattor for around 2 months, they are superb pre amps, very wide soundstage and transparent, they don't do allot wrong IMO, this replaced an LDR and was quite a significant upgrade, other pre amps I've tried that are passive are the Music First copper and silver versions, I found the LDR better when I tried them last year
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12