+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passives pre-amps Hattor vs Tortuga vs Django?

I'm Christian.

Default Passives pre-amps Hattor vs Tortuga vs Django?

Good day,

Wondering if anyone had compared these three? I am to be in the market for a passive pre, ideally with balanced output and remote for volume and these seem to to be the obvious choices. I realise the Tortuga uses LDR but any direct comparison?

Aside from the features I'm looking for the the obvious detail of passives without any lack of dynamics.

I plan to use with a DDDAC 1794 DAC and only require the single source to Event Opal monitors, I was thinking the likes of the Lightspeed and Stereo Coffee as a stop gap but think, as a remote is important I'll just get my final aim.

I was happily using a Croft 25 for years but in my current set-up I found passive pres my preference, the Croft while good in areas was muddied in comparisonto both an Icon and Tisbury passive which in turn I preferred to nothing compared to an M-DAC which will be replaced by the DDDAC.

With thanks.

I'm rupert.

sorry, no direct experience but maybe this one could also fit the bill
    http://khozmo.com/index.html

remote and balanced versions

I'm Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    sorry, no direct experience but maybe this one could also fit the bill
    http://khozmo.com/index.html

remote and balanced versions
    Thanks, this is actually made by the same guy who makes the Hattor, the Hattor being slightly higher end supposedly.

I'm Martin.

I've had a listen to the Tortuga in my system and thought it very good indeed but not had a go on the other two.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Christian.

Thanks Martin. I think I've read some of your posts on it during my Googling. Assuming a passive is in order, would you consider the Tortuga an 'end game' sort of unit?

I'm Martin.

I don't know about 'end game' but it impressed me. I suppose it depends on how discerning you are but I've not found much of a difference in passive pre-amps past a certain threshold of quality. Certainly not enough to be concerned about in an overall context.

The Tortuga particularly sticks in my mind because it did the 'bass reverb tail' thing so well -so well in fact it had me and Jason ('Figlet', whose pre-amp it was) looking at each other in one of those unspoken WTF! moments. I do wonder if this was not some sort of perceived enhancement from a little distortion or whether it was just bringing out more of the recording - a perennial audiophile problem - it should deffo be on your shortlist, though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Christian.

Thanks for that. I must say that is one of my problems, my short list keeps getting long!

Every now and again I discount one then I read something which suggest it really ought to be considered. I was looking at the Lightspeed as a stop gap which I suspect sound wise would be close but I think rather than spend a few quid I'll just put that towards what I really want and wait till I have the funds, I'd miss a remote for volume.

I'm Martin.

I'd have thought insisting on a passive with a remote control should narrow your shortlist down a lot. Sounds like you have analysis paralysis I think you are wise to wait until you can get what you want rather than go for a stop-gap though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Nial.

Have had a Khozmo with the z foil resistor upgrade for the last couple of months.

It's the cleanest and widest open window I've had in my system. I'm still disovering new stuff on recordings I thought I knew. I know Hattor is his high end version, but I find it hard to imagine improvements being more than slight and incremental so good is the 'Khozzie' with z foils.

I'm Nial.

The new issue of Hi Fi Critic includes a review of 8 pre amps, six of which are passive, some TVC, some resistor ladder. Interesting review which included live v same instruments recorded in the room. The Hattor is one of the contenders.

Music used and panellists seemed to be classical only, so considerations of reproducing rock and other genres might have been given a low priority - but hey, it's not as if it isnt usually the other way round

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast