+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Audiolab 8000S - lost a channel

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    For my £400 I'd be looking for a mint Sony ES integrated.
    Remote control on many, power, build quality and great sound.
    Ok.

How about repairing the 8000S and adding a power amp? Would that produce better results than a replacement for the same price?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Well then, a dilemma. Do I get the 8000S repaired or go down the route of a new/2nd hand amp?

Other options??
    Depends on whether you're satisfied with the 'Audiolab' sound. My previously owned 8000P (UK model) dropped a channel early last year, repair cost around £60 from local Audiolab agent / repairer. Mine had several dry joints and replacement components seen to, worked fine when I got it back but wasn't that enamoured with the dry sound, lovely piece of kit though.

As for other options, I would highly recommend anything by Exposure. I currently have the budget 1010 integrated and it's absolutely marvellous, got it almost half-price and mint from ebay, best amp I've owned, including the Brio R, hard to find used although you could get an older 2010/3010 model within a £500 budget. It's very basic which I like but makes glorious music, looking for a used Exp CDP now to match up and keep SWMBO happy from an aesthetic perspective.

I'm Gary.

Hi Lee,

Best amp I've heard in your budget is the Rega Brio-R, punches way above its weight and could get a minty one within your budget.

Been a few years since I heard the 8000S but my recollection of it was that it was quite "grey" sounding?
    Dynamic enough but lacking that sense of life I enjoy in an amp, with different musicians playing off each other that kinda thing.

The Brio does that better than anythign else I've heard in its price range.
    Me old mucker Brian has tried various amps in his system and he keeps coming back to the Rega, and this included a beefy Sony ES amp.
    Brio-R Sounded superb with my Rega RS3's, lots of drive and grip which is what you want in an amp.
    Your current speakers easy to drive?

No exaggeration in any frequency extreme...just gets on with playing the song, which I like.
    More music that hifi.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Lee,

Best amp I've heard in your budget is the Rega Brio-R, punches way above its weight and could get a minty one within your budget.

Been a few years since I heard the 8000S but my recollection of it was that it was quite "grey" sounding?
    Dynamic enough but lacking that sense of life I enjoy in an amp, with different musicians playing off each other that kinda thing.

The Brio does that better than anythign else I've heard in its price range.
    Me old mucker Brian has tried various amps in his system and he keeps coming back to the Rega, and this included a beefy Sony ES amp.
    Brio-R Sounded superb with my Rega RS3's, lots of drive and grip which is what you want in an amp.
    Your current speakers easy to drive?

No exaggeration in any frequency extreme...just gets on with playing the song, which I like.
    More music that hifi.
    Lee,

While I wholly agree with Gaz, IME the Exposure offers all this and a touch more and is my preference having owned both.

Nick

I'm Lee.

Cheers guys. My speakers are 86db but I'm told the brio will drive them no problem.
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

Gazjam,

I'm pretty keen on the Brio, but just reading up more about it there seems to be some doubt about it ability to drive 4 Ohm speakers. My Dyn's are 4 Ohm/86db.

Any thoughts?
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm Jez.

Gazjam,

I'm pretty keen on the Brio, but just reading up more about it there seems to be some doubt about it ability to drive 4 Ohm speakers. My Dyn's are 4 Ohm/86db.

Any thoughts?
    It does indeed appear from the Stereophile measurements that it would not be ideal with your speakers. All down to cost cutting and trying to avoid user abuse related warranty claims probably....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

Lee,
    I've not heard your Dyn's with the Brio and I always prefer advising from personal experience...

BUT...

From what I've read the Brio-R will be fine running 4ohm speakers.
    The Brio-R manual in fact states that "The output amplifier is capable of driving awkward loads as low as 1.7Ω, belowthis the amplifier is protected against shorted speakers and reactive loads."

So no problem with 4 ohm I'd think.
    The amp may get a bit warmer as it has to work harder, but well within its operating parameters
    http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/brio-r-manual.pdf

In my estimation you'll be fine Lee.
    Will sound awesome.

In fact, unless your blasting the amp 24/7 for weeks at a time, the manual states that
    Gazjam,

Any thoughts?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

I'd be surprised if it cant handle 4 ohm mid sensitive speakers. 86db is not that tough. Depends how big your room is and how loud you'd want it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

There is no doubt that it will "handle" 4R loads but the Stereophile technical measurements do suggest that it is not at its best into 4R.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast