+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The dilemma of paradise.

I'm martin.

Morning Simon,

Would my Paradise be up to spec, I know that I think mine had the latest power supply transformers?

Regards,

Martin

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, exactly that, or as the other guys are saying, try your existing Firebottle phono stage with one of Alan's head amps

But if you can find a Lentek, it'll work superbly well for not much dosh

Marco.
    The Lentek arrived today. Hope to have it installed this evening ready for a blast at the weekend.

I'm Steve.

Bloody hell. Dashed thing ain't working. Having taken advise from Marco i discovered there was no battery inside. F.....g great! Away to Tesco's tomorrow for a Duracell. Bollocks. Watch this space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    The Lentek arrived today. Hope to have it installed this evening ready for a blast at the weekend.

I'm Grant.

strictly speaking your not allowed to send batteries unless in manufacturers packaging. May be the reason why.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Alan the full list of what I use against standard builds.

This shot gives some of the details for the above board stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/596848...in/dateposted/

2sk170 on the top of the board (idss 8.5ma), I think j107 was the supplied part.
    Opa 627, lower dc offset than the standard part, pricey but they cut dc offset by x5 and have faster settling time.
    I add 2 x22uf organic polymer caps right on the input of the +/- voltage to the main boards.
    The first two caps on the board, 100uf and 10uf I replace with Wurth organic polymer caps.
    I use 4n and 2.2n film caps under the board for compensation of the 327 an 337 under the heatsink. This lowers the speed of the shunt a little but stabilises the voltage.
    I add a 470n film cap to ground from the 3rd leg (right leg) of the left most and right most devices on the heatsink. I do these under the board (but describe them as you see them from above) as they solder directly to the exposed ground around the bolt holes for the heatsink.
    I use 2sk170 at the back end of the shunt, with 360r resistors instead of the 3.3k. you can use cheaper j113 and 1k, they work almost as well and are much cheaper.
    For the 10k resistor that bridges the signal input to gnd I use either a MELF or naked vishay/charcroft. My own uses vishays here and in the riaa, the riaa was overkill, not worth the $180... but you have to try these things.
    and I always build them with Calvins.

Because the group buy for new paradise psu pre-reg boards fell to bits I've had some pcbs made that take a block transformer and the common mode coils, + snubbers. I'm just about to build a set of these up with Les's minicap boards and the Hammond chokes. this will be exactly the same as the group psu but with an extra smoothing cap in the filter. So psu will be traffo, common mode coils, snubbers, Q-speed schotky diodes (RC snubbed), then the main CRCRLC with whatever 30mm caps one chooses and the Hammond chokes provide a 300mA choke. With the correct traffo this gives out 25.8v under load.

If you've got space this additional pcb and the hammond chokes is very worthwhile. I currently run minicap boards from Les and it's not as ballsy or as refined as the group buy psu units I've built. (I just never had spare boards to upgrade my own when i was building for customers.)

I can pop up sometime with my unit once I've completed the psu rebuild and you can give it a blast, see if you think it's worthwhile.

Hope that helps, I can provide more pics if you need them, most of them are in that flickr account already, apart from caps, under the board.

Simon
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Steve.

Well, here's how it goes. I put a battery in it and connected it to by FB set to MM and all was going well until i heard some cracking noises from the speakers and the protection circuitry of my power amps shut them down. This happened twice so i have taken the Lentek back out. The brief listen i had with it seemed positive but it seems like the unit may be faulty. I dare not risk putting it back into the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Bloody hell. Dashed thing ain't working. Having taken advise from Marco i discovered there was no battery inside. F.....g great! Away to Tesco's tomorrow for a Duracell. Bollocks. Watch this space.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Alan the full list of what I use against standard builds.

This shot gives some of the details for the above board stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/596848...in/dateposted/

2sk170 on the top of the board (idss 8.5ma), I think j107 was the supplied part.
    Opa 627, lower dc offset than the standard part, pricey but they cut dc offset by x5 and have faster settling time.
    I add 2 x22uf organic polymer caps right on the input of the +/- voltage to the main boards.
    The first two caps on the board, 100uf and 10uf I replace with Wurth organic polymer caps.
    I use 4n and 2.2n film caps under the board for compensation of the 327 an 337 under the heatsink. This lowers the speed of the shunt a little but stabilises the voltage.
    I add a 470n film cap to ground from the 3rd leg (right leg) of the left most and right most devices on the heatsink. I do these under the board (but describe them as you see them from above) as they solder directly to the exposed ground around the bolt holes for the heatsink.
    I use 2sk170 at the back end of the shunt, with 360r resistors instead of the 3.3k. you can use cheaper j113 and 1k, they work almost as well and are much cheaper.
    For the 10k resistor that bridges the signal input to gnd I use either a MELF or naked vishay/charcroft. My own uses vishays here and in the riaa, the riaa was overkill, not worth the $180... but you have to try these things.
    and I always build them with Calvins.

Because the group buy for new paradise psu pre-reg boards fell to bits I've had some pcbs made that take a block transformer and the common mode coils, + snubbers. I'm just about to build a set of these up with Les's minicap boards and the Hammond chokes. this will be exactly the same as the group psu but with an extra smoothing cap in the filter. So psu will be traffo, common mode coils, snubbers, Q-speed schotky diodes (RC snubbed), then the main CRCRLC with whatever 30mm caps one chooses and the Hammond chokes provide a 300mA choke. With the correct traffo this gives out 25.8v under load.

If you've got space this additional pcb and the hammond chokes is very worthwhile. I currently run minicap boards from Les and it's not as ballsy or as refined as the group buy psu units I've built. (I just never had spare boards to upgrade my own when i was building for customers.)

I can pop up sometime with my unit once I've completed the psu rebuild and you can give it a blast, see if you think it's worthwhile.

Hope that helps, I can provide more pics if you need them, most of them are in that flickr account already, apart from caps, under the board.

Simon
    Simon thanks for that excellent and detailed information , and yes I would love to hear one of your fully loaded Paradise Phonos
    I sure Steve would as well

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

Yeh, we can arrange that. I can probably squeeze it in one week night?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alan.

Fabulous can't wait

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

Steve
    I will rewire mine and you can try that, give me a couple of days

Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast