+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Montesquieu's setup

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Very nice setup pictured there. I'm envious :-)
    Curious about that Settee shaped room treatment though.
    Seems as surprisingly close to the pore old Tan's output.
    Took a Loong time / significant efforts to fine tune My room sounds.
    Obstacles / Furniture, even 10' in front of the Speakers had significant effect.
    Which is why I'm even asking .

It's our living room, about 4.5 metres by 5.5 ... 2 seater listening sofa is facing the speakers but I have a longer sofa also on the left and a fireplace and record racks on the right. No TV thank goodness as I don't own one.

The sofa arm is well below where the drive unit is, which in turn is pointing into the room ... I don't hear the sofa as having much if any effect, sounds much the same as similar Tannoys in two previous living rooms (as plenty AoSers who have been round could attest I'm sure). That's one of the many great thing about Tannoys, single point source at ear level. Might be in trouble with lower-set speakers or with a speaker that had multiple drive units with some set below the height of the sofa's arm, but no issues as things are currently.

I'm Justin.

Unless you turn it up, when it starts to shake, rattle and roll a bit, I seem to remember.

Bass is always bass, provided the speakers do it in the first place.

Tom doesn't listen at those levels though.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Unless you turn it up, when it starts to shake, rattle and roll a bit, I seem to remember.

Bass is always bass, provided the speakers do it in the first place.

Tom doesn't listen at those levels though.
    Not sure if that was the floorboards or the rafters, Justin!

Ears are still recovering

I'm Justin.

My listening room is mid-decoration. I'm already thinking I am mad.

I've moved 4 extremely heavy power amps, a heavy pre and DAC, 2 stupidly heavy speakers that can't be lifted even by two people when assembled, what seems like a billion cables, quite a few CDs and 400 odd records - and that is before even a lick of paint hits the walls (which it has).

Then the joy of putting it all back after spending hours painting it two-tone

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My listening room is mid-decoration. I'm already thinking I am mad.

I've moved 4 extremely heavy power amps, a heavy pre and DAC, 2 stupidly heavy speakers that can't be lifted even by two people when assembled, what seems like a billion cables, quite a few CDs and 400 odd records - and that is before even a lick of paint hits the walls (which it has).

Then the joy of putting it all back after spending hours painting it two-tone
    That's nothing - I had to move two 30kg monoblock amplifiers, three preamps, various power supplies, tape decks, turntables, CD players and a tuner, over 1,000 CDs and a similar number of vinyl records, four other monoblock power amps and over 650 books. Oh, and two speakers.

Yet despite all that, thanks to very careful planning, I went without my system for only a day and half. And that included having a dedicated ring main installed for the audio, running balanced-line audio cables under the floorboards and having a new carpet fitted, the latter which required the entire room to be free of furniture.
    Barry

I'm gone.

I get around all these problems by being happy to have a tatty living room.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's nothing - I had to move two 30kg monoblock amplifiers.
    Lightweight. Not discovered real amps yet, then The rest of it does sound a bit of a chore, though.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I get around all these problems by being happy to have a tatty living room.
    No comment, Jerry

My advice? Do the kitchen first. It would be a very nice house if some money were to be directed away from the hearing budget to more money making ventures. Like a nicer environment to live in.

montesquieu Guest

No comment, Jerry

My advice? Do the kitchen first. It would be a very nice house if some money were to be directed away from the hearing budget to more money making ventures. Like a nicer environment to live in.

We had some people in for a month before we moved in did the whole thing ... that was three years ago though there are a few corners now needing a lick of paint ....

I'm gone.

No comment, Jerry

I thought you said No comment.

The money is available, we just can't be bothered with all the disruption.
    We are just naturally scruffy - and happy to be that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast