+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Loudspeakers Grab You?

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Can a loudspeaker be too explicit? Not sure if that is the right word but I prefer it to 'revealing'.
    I think a revealing speaker can be a problem because it's an open window to everything that feeds it. The problem is knowing if the speaker is revealing, or just distorting the signal in some way.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    All tooo confusing.
    I try and attend as many Live performances as possible.
    My only care is on getting my Audio 'stuff' to sound as similar to what I heard live.. as realistically as practical.
    A hit 'n miss exercise without doubt.
    Happily, a few more hits than misses.. recently.
    I suppose it's all a matter of taste at the end of the day. Some people want that live sound (me included) and some want a relaxing, smooth sound. Actually what I'm aiming for at the moment is a smooth sound that sounds like thunder and lightning when the music calls for it.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I think a revealing speaker can be a problem because it's an open window to everything that feeds it. The problem is knowing if the speaker is revealing, or just distorting the signal in some way.
    Revealing speakers should not be confused speakers having a forward presentation. Spendor and Harbeth speakers are revealing, but relaxed and smooth in presentation. Shortcomings in the system preceding the speakers will undoubtedly be shown up by good speakers. That just means attention is needed elsewhere.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Actually what I'm aiming for at the moment is a smooth sound that sounds like thunder and lightning when the music calls for it.
    That would be a pair of big vintage Apogee ribbon speakers then.

Trouble is a fine set will cost you an arm and a leg. But not as much as a good amp that can actually drive them!

I reckon Avantegarde Trios could offer a similarly satisfying experience. But unfortunately, even though they are less amp demanding they cost a bomb.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ralph.

I've had my IMF TLS80s for so long now I can't imagine life without them. Yes I've heard speakers that do better thunder and more lightning but they're not for me. I'm always happy to return home to my IMFs. We understand each other
    Ralph.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That would be a pair of big vintage Apogee ribbon speakers then.

Trouble is a fine set will cost you an arm and a leg. But not as much as a good amp that can actually drive them!

I reckon Avantegarde Trios could offer a similarly satisfying experience. But unfortunately, even though they are less amp demanding they cost a bomb.
    I design my own, so I can only hope that's what my next pair will sound like. I'm trying to break the laws of physics (Small box, easy to drive, simple crossover and big sound) and so far, it's looking good on paper.

I'm Neil.

Some speakers are much better in their transient response (ability to start and stop quickly) and ability to critically damp the drivers (make sure the drivers don't start to ring). This is what drives the subjective feel of 'grabbing the music'.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm John.

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Can a loudspeaker be too explicit? Not sure if that is the right word but I prefer it to 'revealing'.

When I acquired a pair of Yamaha NS1000 speakers I had to throw out some cd's because the yams revealed the shoddiness of the recordings, and rendered them unplayable. I wouldn't say they were too revealing/explicit as the flip side is revealing the nuances of great recording.

I'm Gary.

I think if the speakers are conspicious in that they "grab you" then to me somethings not right.

Ideally, for me at least, you shouldn't be drawn to one piece of equipment but the music that comes from your system as a whole.
    In fact, going one step further (again ideally) the system should get out of the way completely.

Let the music do the talking, not the kit.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

I'm trying to break the laws of physics (Small box, easy to drive, simple crossover and big sound) and so far, it's looking good on paper.
    Linn tried that with the Sara. It was not that easy to drive though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast