+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Loudspeakers Grab You?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    In my studio I calibrate the volume in the room to a set level (using the K metering system ie. a -20dBFS test tone generates 83dB(C) SPL at the listening position) and this really helps to ensure there's consistency in my mixing, it also helps, if I'm listening in there, to determine how (over)mastered a recording is. A loudness war record makes it painful to bring the monitor controller much past half way but a nicely mastered recording could get turned very nearly all the way up (generally the dial only goes all the way up when I'm recording and mixing)

I only mention this as it sort of works as a corollary to Paul's observations about Fletcher Munson etc.

I think it's probably also valid to point out that a room with a flat frequency response is not necessarily a flat room as it's also about having an even decay time across the spectrum, which is very difficult to achieve.

As to whether speakers should 'grab you' I think not, but looking at my preferences against many members here it does seem that I like my hifi much more 'laid back' than many.
    That's a very valid point Marc. For practical purposes, its nigh on impossible to have that even decay in most living rooms as 1) they're not purpose designed (unless you're really lucky!) and 2) It'd take some significant investment in treatment even if the dimensions were suitable.

In practice, achieving a smooth room power response at the listening position, with a gentle down tilt on-axis if well furnished achieves a reasonable compromise. No use having a perfect room either if the boxes themselves don't exhibit either very low levels of resonance amplitude or otherwise get rid of stored energy very very quickly (as in a well designed thin wall design). I prefer the former...to break up resonance such that sub panels on cabinets have different harmonics, then stiffen/damp them to the extent that the frequencies are shifted up out of the sensitive region and also that the amplitude falls at least 45dB below programme. I call this "constrained panel design" but others use different phrases to describve the same thing. This aspect of design is all about controlling resonance and decay, be that the room or the cabinets themselves.

Also worth saying that having the best speakers in the world wont help your enjoyment of the room is awful. Most rooms benefit from some treatment and thought into reducing reflections.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Speakers should never 'grab you' - the music should do that.

Speakers that 'grab you' are often described as 'impressive'. Another term of opprobium, as one quickly tires when listening to 'impressive' speakers.
    Totally agree. That applies to any piece of Hi-Fi equipment, not just speakers. An amp or cartridge for instance, that makes a spectacular impression on first listening, may not prove to be too great to live with in the end.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Mine creep up on you
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Mine creep up on you
    I don't hear mine. I just hear through them into the music.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Totally agree. That applies to any piece of Hi-Fi equipment, not just speakers. An amp or cartridge for instance, that makes a spectacular impression on first listening, may not prove to be too great to live with in the end.
    yes indeed the Denon DL 110 did just that, initially wow, then just irritatingly bright. To be fair though it may not have been matched to my phonostage st that time in my journey.

As for speakers I prefer a more in my face presentation but not to the point of harsh, distorted, shouty or boomy. Laid back speakers and carts like IO's don't do it for me. There are compromises along the way or you are just kidding yourselves. As for that final pair......there's no such thing. My room is treated with absorption panels at first reflection points on the walls and ceiling and back wall and without that I believe it's a lottery to find something to live with long term.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Shaun.

I kind of think that the whole system configuration should grab you but not necessarily the loudspeakers on their own.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't hear mine. I just hear through them into the music.
    I dont have that ability alas. they are there, I here music thus I here them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Can a loudspeaker be too explicit? Not sure if that is the right word but I prefer it to 'revealing'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

danilo Guest

All tooo confusing.
    I try and attend as many Live performances as possible.
    My only care is on getting my Audio 'stuff' to sound as similar to what I heard live.. as realistically as practical.
    A hit 'n miss exercise without doubt.
    Happily, a few more hits than misses.. recently.

I'm Andr'e.

There should be no brightness, Silly forced detail & general edge of the seat listerning imho..We aint bats at the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast