+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LG OLED TVs

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Really?... Can't see the comparison there but for £1500 you can get something truly special cartridge wise.
    Thought someone would pick me up on that. Of course it will. But close to world's best? Probably not at new prices. That was the point.

Additionally, in the world of audio, a ref quality system costs way more than a ref quality display.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I will look out for the LG next time I am in a TV shop, the current Sonys are very good. Personally I am going to sit on my current TV until 4K has been around for longer then I will have a look again.
    I would have plumped for a Sony 65 if I hadn't gone for this. I just decided I had owned too many Sony's over the years, and wanted a different display tech to the other TVs I own.

I'm Gary.

Justin,
    Going forward...

Have you thought about 6500K Bias lighting for your set?
    With OLED tech maybe not so much to fix the black levels, but given the white levels you speak about even from an eyestrain point of view?

What about getting it callibrated?

Both made a HELLUVA improvement on my Samsung plasma, its money well spent.
    I put up a thread about my adventures with that somewhere here.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Agreed 100%.

Edge lit LED Samsung's are hyper-real IMHO. Look at the telly then look at the real world. My 10 year old 46 inch florescent back lit Sony does better at looking "natural" by a big margin. No matter what you do with my 46 inch hi-fi room Samsung, you can never get it to look natural. It always looks hyped to some extent. For my money the current Sony's look more natural, but some of the HDR demos you see in store are just beyond belief unnatural.

The hardest thing to get uses to on the OLED is not the blackest blacks, but the whitest whites. Looking at lights is hard to get used to because it gets so close to looking directly at a light it can be a bit unnerving, and especially so if the TV settings are off for the ambient light conditions.

There's no doubt in my mind it is better then my sister's last of the crop of Pioneer Kuro plasmas - though they are still stunning at times. There isn't much out there that is better than an LG OLED at the mo.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Justin.

I've calibrated it as per this video.

That works extremely well for night time viewing, as it says. I'm currently using a daytime setting guess based on that.

The whites are not eye strain inducing, but watching Titanic the other night, with the AV forum settings, I've never seen lighting look so realistically bright.

The AV forum settings are probably close to as good as you can get them I'd guess.

One thing - can't stream YouTube videos in 4K as my graphics card on the PC can't handle it. But Wi-Fi into the telly with a 38Mbps link there's no stuttering and it is absolutely fine.

Got a link to that thread Gaz?

I'm Gary.

Looks good mate.

My link is here, some of the pics are broken after tidying up my photobucket, but can put them back in if need be.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...=bias+lighting
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Justin.

Looks interesting but only had a quick look. Will check it out in greater depth. Got a coloured LED light with R/C control I will experiment with now.

I'm Gary.

Looks interesting but only had a quick look. Will check it out in greater depth. Got a coloured LED light with R/C control I will experiment with now.
    Colour or colour temperature?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Justin.

Set at blueish white much as I remember the Philips lighting. It is useless, though. This is a spot light behind a stand mounted display. Likely over 6000K but it needs to be way more diffuse. I have a bulb LED that will do a much better job somewhere.

Wife not keen on it

I'm Gary.

Wife not keen on it
    Maybe some pics will help.
    Mines uses 4 6500k tubes which Ive cable tied to vents on the back of the tv

Its cool how it works, you can control the diffuse/brightness of each tube by turning a white transparent film inside which limits the ammount getting through the light aperture in each tube.
    You set it once and forget about it....my kinda thing.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Justin.

That is pretty much exactly what I expected to be honest. There are some very good Fishtank lights at the local garden centre for about £60. These are LED based and look to be very good being almost instantly configurable in terms of Kelvin.

Due to the distance of the TV set from the wall one strip in the middle of the rear of the TV might do the job quite well.

I've just done this post using the voice recognition of the TV set with minimal edits. Quite impressive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast