+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers LS3/6 and Leak Stereo 70 combination

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I have similar (and more) piles of Leak gear like that.... Other than the very good Stereofetic tuner I couldn't recommend any of the rest.... ie the amps...
    Strangely, I only regard the Stereofetic as OK. I much prefer the Rogers Ravensbourne FET2 which is of a similar vintage.
    Spendorman

I'm Andr'e.

Yup. I prefer the 'Stereofetic' to the 'Through line 3'

I'm Lachlan.

Default Rogers LS 3/6

Hi Spendorman,

I also have a pair of Rogers LS 3/6's. There's also a replaced bass unit in mine (Kef B110 I think). I've only every chatted with one other person who owns a pair. I'm in Australia, and that guy is in the US. Beautiful midrange on them hey. I had mine recapped, did you recap yours? considering going back and putting nicer caps.

Pics of mine attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetone View Post
    Hi Spendorman,

I also have a pair of Rogers LS 3/6's. There's also a replaced bass unit in mine (Kef B110 I think). I've only every chatted with one other person who owns a pair. I'm in Australia, and that guy is in the US. Beautiful midrange on them hey. I had mine recapped, did you recap yours? considering going back and putting nicer caps.

Pics of mine attached.
    Hi Bluetone

That's a KEF B200, not the best replacement for your speakers. The midrange will not be as good as the original units for the LS3/6 or Export Monitor.

I have tried the B200, most versions. The original capacitors in the crossover would most likely have been OK as they are not of the electrolytic type.

I can suggest a couple of things that should improve your speakers.
    Spendorman

I'm Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Hi Bluetone

That's a KEF B200, not the best replacement for your speakers. The midrange will not be as good as the original units for the LS3/6 or Export Monitor.

I have tried the B200, most versions. The original capacitors in the crossover would most likely have been OK as they are not of the electrolytic type.

I can suggest a couple of things that should improve your speakers.
    Still got the original caps. Yeah thanks interested in any suggestions please. What would be a better midbass unit? Thanks

I'm Alex.

In my view, the best replacement bass/ mid unit is the Dalesford D100/200. These can be found in 70/80's speakers such as RAM etc. I make a a small adjustment to the crossover that requires two wirewound resistors. The next best unit is the Dalesford D50/200.

The adjustments to the crossover are possibly required because the original LS3/6 bass unit is nominally 15 Ohm, and we are using 8 Ohm units.

Although, it appears that Rogers used the 8 Ohm Dalesford with standard LS3/6 crossovers in the early Export Monitors.

I can supply the crossover mods if you like. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial with the B200 that is in your system. It would likely slightly boost the already coloured midrange of that unit.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

Yes, have a few of them, about five pairs BC1, one pair BC2, and a pair of Preludes. I also have some BC1a amps.
    BC2's here... amongst other speakers I own... The Spendor's were my main speaker until the KEF Reference 105.3/4's came along.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Strangely, I only regard the Stereofetic as OK. I much prefer the Rogers Ravensbourne FET2 which is of a similar vintage.
    I think I've got one of those Rogers ones somewhere... yes a good tuner.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    Yup. I prefer the 'Stereofetic' to the 'Through line 3'
    Same here and by a very large margin! I really can't see what all the fuss was about with the Troughline. It was probably the best of the British all valve FM tuners and the use of a tuned line local oscillator (the "troughline") gave it excellent frequency stability for the time. In comparison to a modern tuner though it's a non starter....

I'm Lachlan.

ok thanks for the tips. I will try to source the Dalesford driver. Out of interest, how does your LS 3/6 compare to your BC1's do you have a preference?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast