+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers LS3/6 and Leak Stereo 70 combination

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I have similar (and more) piles of Leak gear like that.... Other than the very good Stereofetic tuner I couldn't recommend any of the rest.... ie the amps...
    Well, I have piles of stuff, mostly in good order. It surprised me how good the Stereo 70 sounds through the LS3/6. To me, my best sounding amp is a Williamson, but mono I'm afraid. The next best is a Radford STA25 III, this is very good. The Stereo 70 is almost up with the Radford.

The LS3/6 speakers are very revealing. They show up differences in amplifiers more than most speakers.
    Spendorman

I'm Andr'e.

The Leak 'Stereo 30 Plus' is my fav Leak..

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Well, I have piles of stuff, mostly in good order. It surprised me how good the Stereo 70 sounds through the LS3/6. To me, my best sounding amp is a Williamson, but mono I'm afraid. The next best is a Radford STA25 III, this is very good. The Stereo 70 is almost up with the Radford.

The LS3/6 speakers are very revealing. They show up differences in amplifiers more than most speakers.
    Each to their own. I have several stereo 30 plus, 70, delta 30's, delta 70's and the receivers with the same amps in them. I regard the amps as poor. All of them.
    Strangely the original Stereo 30 (not the plus) with awful germanium transistors can sound really good but it's a lottery as to whether you get a good one or an awful one... they vary THAT much!

I've even rebuilt a stereo 30 plus with modern components, bigger smoothing caps etc and set it up very carefully for lowest crossover distortion etc... much better than a standard one but still nothing to write home about. Most SS amps from before about 1980 are pretty meh IMHO... and generally for good technical reasons. No I don't like the 303 before anyone says "but what about the Quad 303"
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Four Quad 303's here.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    The Leak 'Stereo 30 Plus' is my fav Leak..
    I guess that you know, 30 Plus and Stereo 70 are near identical circuits, mainly higher rail voltage in the 70.
    Spendorman

I'm Andrew.

I really like looking at old gear i got a little excited with the smilies. I also have to admit that a set of Spendor speakers has been high on my list of stuff to try for a very very long time. I keep getting side tracked and restoring old decks.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

Four Quad 303's here.
    Some Spendors here. I'm a big fan of Spendor. We agree on them
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martyn.

Those transformers look the business.
    Wouldn't be out of place in a power supply...

I'm Andr'e.

I regard the amps as poor.
    Precisely why i always say 'Do not take a blind bit of notice to half the crap on Hi-Fi forums'.

I'm Alex.

Some Spendors here. I'm a big fan of Spendor. We agree on them
    Yes, have a few of them, about five pairs BC1, one pair BC2, and a pair of Preludes. I also have some BC1a amps.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast