+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Alfa Romeo awards ...

I'm tony.

Speakers, I have to agree about statics 57s or 63s. Also horns and maybe a BBC Spendor model.

A valve amp.

A pre/power set up.

An off board DAC

I'm Paul.

In my more affluent youth I went mad for Alfas: Alfasud TI Green Cloverleaf, Alfasud Sprint Speciale, 1600 GT Junior, 33 Green Cloverleaf, 75 2.5 V6, 75 3.0 V6 Green Cloverleaf.

To my mind the hifi brand that most reminds me of Alfa is Yamaha: great sounding, distinctive designs and they built several classics over the years that remain collectable.

Last edited by hermit; 15-06-2016 at 00:05.

I'm Peter.

That Yamaha gear looks awesome, Paul.

Surprised no-one has mentioned a certain Fink company yet ... even if only to annoy a particular forum fan

My personal Alfa moment was a pair of Audio Physics Tempo 2 speakers. Contemporary styling, beautifully made, and possibly the only speakers I've owned that my wife actually wanted in the living room. Trouble was, they worked best well out in the room, about a cricket-pitch apart, with the listener more or less sat in the middle. Brilliant imaging, but never did find an amp that made them sound anything but teutonically precise.

Last edited by petrat; 15-06-2016 at 07:05. Reason: add picture

I'm Jason.

Gotta be an LP12 hasn't it? Looks lovely, but temperamental and hard to keep in fettle, sounds nice but not to everyone's taste... ;-)
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Gotta be an LP12 hasn't it? Looks lovely, but temperamental and hard to keep in fettle, sounds nice but not to everyone's taste... ;-)
    Surely a Sondek is more like a Lada. An old design concept pinched from somebody else. Basic in principle, but prone to being temperamental and requiring regular attention. It does the job but but time has moved on and modern products are so much easier to live with.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm nigel.

nad 3020
    any 1970s british cottage built speaker sporting kef b200 bass and audax softdome tweeter
    nagaoka cartridge
    and my personal favorite....any silver Japanese tuner from the 70s with a balanced tuning wheel allowing a quick span of the fm band with one fast turn....

if the above jap tuner lights up in the dark like frikkin blackpool....award yourself an extra prize!!!!

NIGE.

I'm Clark.

Wonderful sound and great retro looks but is so easy to damage

However I'm not sure any piece of hifi can match up to this

http://otoworls.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ninfarina.html

I'm paul.

I love an Alfa, Ive owned a GTV 6 2.5 and my brother had an Alfetta 1.8, and two Sprints, the earlier 1.5 Sprint was more fun to drive in the wet than any other car Ive driven. I once went to view an Alfetta 2.0 at a dealers and he had a Lancia Beta coupe, it was one of the last production 2.0 IE so no rust issues. I bought it and it was the best handling car Ive ever owned.

Back to HI FI, My Sondeck LP12 would drive me nuts, sounded great one week and shit a week later
    Audiolab 8000a was always shutting itself down when using my Electrostatic Headphones
    Logic DM101 MK1, The belt would slip when playing at 45rpm
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Martin.

Never owned an Alfa but my hi-fi equiv would most likely be the Lowther Acoustas I once had. £20 punt so can't complain but they were not for me. I sold the drivers to a dealer who had my arm off for them (so clearly some do like them) and turned the cabs into a PA system.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Never owned an Alfa but my hi-fi equiv would most likely be the Lowther Acoustas I once had. £20 punt so can't complain but they were not for me. I sold the drivers to a dealer who had my arm off for them (so clearly some do like them) and turned the cabs into a PA system.
    I lived with a pair of Lowther Acoustas (fitted with PM6 drive units). Like most horn speakers they were sensitive (6W maximum), and displayed great transient behaviour: percussive instruments such as piano sounded very realistic, but they were coloured much like Heinz tomato soup.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast