+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice on SPU Retip

I'm Ken.

Default Seeking Advice on SPU Retip

Hello all,

Well, I don't know exactly when/what happened, but I just found my SPU Royal GM MKii with twisted cantilevel in this morning.
    So.... here I am trying to get some help to figure out if it is worth to retip this SPU or should I consider buying a new cartridge all together? If I go with retip route, where can I get such service and possible cost associated with it?

I've been using it with old ortofon 12" tonearm on Garrard 301. It is my understanding that my setup isn't really friendly with lots of MC cartridges on the market. I've been recommended to try Decon 103 variants, SPU, and Koetsu. Is there any other MC cartridges that I can consider with my setup?

Any advices would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm Peter.

Ortofon HQ in Denmark do re-builds. Basically, you get complete new cartridge for €925 ... they replace everything except the shell.

http://www.ortofon.com/spu-royal-gm-mkii-p-524-n-3597
    http://www.ortofon.com/hifi/products/repair-service

You may have import taxes to pay on return, so you maybe need to establish evidence of 'exporting' to avoid paying? You could also ask the US distributor or one of the three or four dealers around Seattle how much they charge ... might save on hassle.

I'm Clive.

I would only use Ortofon to rebuild your SPU. Retipped cartridges by other suppliers however professional are never as good as the original maker.
    I would certainly contact Ortofon's US distributer in the first instance to enquire about replacement or rebuild, as that would be the prefered route for your system.
    The alternative of seeking a totally different cartridge is a long slippery slope. Demo's for cartridges (and headshells in this instance) is difficult at the best of times.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Geoff.

Goldring offer servicing and repairs for just about any cartridge of any make and their work has a fine reputation. http://www.goldring.co.uk/cartridge-repair.htm

I have one of their Eroica LX low output MCs and it's extremely musical. Most enjoyable to listen to.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

Petrat - Thanks for your information. It turned out that the U.S distributor only gives you US$100 off from the new cartridge price for the repair. If I go with retip service with Ortofon in Denmark, it may save me US$200-300 compare to buying a new Cartridge after all said and done.

Clive197 - Thanks for your advice. Even though I enjoy SPU sound, I am curious about Denon 103 as it is quite cheaper than procuring another working SPU.

Walpurgis - Thank you for the information! I will contact Goldring and see what they can do for me.

It seems like I am not going to save a lot of money even if I decide to retip the cartridge. If goldring offers a competitive repair price, I might consider their service and accept it may never be the same cartridge and buy another new SPU later on.
    Even on the Ortofon website, it states that it may not be the same sound as new cart, and it gives me a second thought.

Thank you all for your help!

I'm Ken.

I just found out that Goldring is not offering any Repair service duing the summer period....hmm Are there any other reputable places where they can retip SPU besides Goldring?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm Geoff.

That's odd. I wasn't aware.

There's a Denon DL-103 on offer here if that would tide you over: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...5316-Denon-103

You could try Dominic Harper at Northwest Analogue: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...5316-Denon-103

Dom is a nice guy to deal with. He does good cartridge work. There are examples on the website. I suspect you may find the prices a bit high though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredcon View Post
    I just found out that Goldring is not offering any Repair service duing the summer period....hmm Are there any other reputable places where they can retip SPU besides Goldring?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Not sure if he would do SPU but cannot see any reason why he would not. Literally in your backyard, you'll save substantially on shipping and possibly import duties and taxes and Andy does excellent work. Contrary to the statement above I have had a number of cartridges retipped by both Peter Ledermann at Soundsmith and Andy at phonocartridgeretipping.com that have ended up being considerably better than their stock counterparts. My current cartridge, an Ortofon MC 20 Super totally rebuilt by Andy with new coil, suspension and boron cantilever with a microridge stylus is a fine example of that.

I think you'll find that if he can repair it his price will be more than competitive with anything in the UK. Cost on the above rebuild of my Ortofon was around $500 U.S. or the equivalent of about 350 GBP. Your repair, if it is just a new cantilever & stylus with a suspension rebuild should be around $400 U.S. I'd suspect if Andy will do it.

Considering the fact that you appear to be about 15 minutes away from him it would appear to be a no brainer to at least contact him.

http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/contact.html

I'm Ken.

walpurgis - Thanks for your help again. I will check it out. It seemed like the Goldring is dedicating their workforce on production and training new employees, stopping the repair service for a while.

blake - Thanks for your suggestion! I wasn't even aware of such place existed so near by!

Thank you all for your kind help!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredcon View Post
    Hello all,

Well, I don't know exactly when/what happened, but I just found my SPU Royal GM MKii with twisted cantilevel in this morning.
    So.... here I am trying to get some help to figure out if it is worth to retip this SPU or should I consider buying a new cartridge all together? If I go with retip route, where can I get such service and possible cost associated with it?

I've been using it with old ortofon 12" tonearm on Garrard 301. It is my understanding that my setup isn't really friendly with lots of MC cartridges on the market. I've been recommended to try Decon 103 variants, SPU, and Koetsu. Is there any other MC cartridges that I can consider with my setup?

Any advices would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Your old Ortofon arm is a natural match for low compliance cartridges. I'm biased, of course, but a Miyajima Shilabe would sing very nicely, paired with your arm and 'table. Lovely lyrical, musical and notably low-distortion sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast