+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A journey to the origins of my family

I'm Grant.

Would appear to be Hungary... Inscription say something like Forgiveness. Do not you go down to the day of wrath. Its very distictive and a lo vely street
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, I could just see myself sitting at what looks like a quaint little cafe/restaurant, on the right (with the canopy), sipping an ice-cold beer!

I'm sure that Werner will be along soon to confirm.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Werner.

Hi Marco,

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    First of all, nice to see you back and that you're keeping well. Your contributions to the forum have always been fantastic, whether when discussing hi-fi, music, computers or aspects of your life.
    thank you very much for your kind words and the warm ”welcome back“!

Too many folks on Internet forums like to 'hide', be anonymous entities, and show nothing of their true selves, which is a mentality I simply can't relate to.
    Me too, this is a kind of mentality I cannot relate to and the main reason for me to always use my real and full name, ever since I started to communicate via “Bulletin Board Systems” (BBS), as these forums were called back in 1987 when I discovered computer based communication.

Anyway, just to get this right, are you saying you cycled all that distance?
    Actually it was even a bit more. My journey started in the last week of April, and my bike computer tells me that I cycled 672.94 miles (or 1,083 kilometres) during May, until I returned to my home here in Tyrol. But it was not troublesome at all, since riding a bicycle seems to be my second nature. I’ve been cycling in the metropole of Vienna since the age of eight years, so far without any serious accident (knock on wood). As a 22 years young man, back in 1978, I returned to Vienna after living for six months in the city of Bremen, northern Germany. The distance was 746 miles (approx. 1,200 kilometres), I think it took eight or ten days. Nowadays, with my 60th birthday coming up, I have been using a Pedelec for my most recent journey, which certainly won’t be my last.

I also love the big, wide-open spaces and empty roads, devoid of traffic congestion... You can 'breathe' and genuinely feel that you're alive there, unlike in some parts of the UK!
    I too love these big, wide-open spaces; they are very different from the narrow valleys and the big, sometimes menacing mountains here in Tyrol. Both my father and my mother were born and grew up in flat, wide-open landscapes, and as a child and young dude I spent most of my holidays in areas like these.

The picture of the old lady (was that your mum?) […]
    No, that’s “Gretl-Tant” (“aunt Gretie”, although she was never my aunt), the widow of one of my father’s cousins, living in the neighboring village of my father’s home, a branch of relatives from the side of my father’s mother.

I was wondering where this was, as it looks right up my street:
    That’s the centre of Köszeg (German: Güns), one of Hungary’s most beautiful cities, very close to the Austrian border and once (back in the “Habsburger” days) part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire:

I’m grateful for receiving that kind of warm welcome from you and the other AoS members, Marco!

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 08-06-2016 at 11:17.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Marco,

Yes, I could just see myself sitting at what looks like a quaint little cafe/restaurant, on the right (with the canopy), sipping an ice-cold beer!

that was exactly what I had with my vegetarian pizza.

“Kávéház” means “Kaffeehaus” (German, it even sounds similar) and “coffeehouse” (English). “Etterem” means “entrance”. A part of my father’s family is from Hungary. As a young man, my father’s nickname was “Piszta”, which is shorthand for “Istvan”, the Hungarian variant of “Stephan”.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 08-06-2016 at 11:27.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Kevin.

I take my hat off to you for doing something like this.
    It seems you were able to travel relatively light? Did you get xperi nice any issues charging up the battery for the bike, as it can't be easy cycling on one of those with no battery power available?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Werner.

Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I take my hat off to you for doing something like this.
    thank you, but believe me, most of the time it was not really overly demanding or exhausting. I’m nearly 60 years old, 6' 6" tall, my weight is 194 US pounds, I’m not strong, but persisent, and my average travel speed was not really fast, around 15.5 mph (25 km/h) with a completely packed bicycle, sometimes going uphill or against headwind.

It seems you were able to travel relatively light?

I used two pannier bags and a backpack. My luggage included even a teapot, a teacup, two cans with Darjeeling and Ceylon tea, my favourite book, my iPad with a detachable keyboard and a mobile LTE router/WLAN hotspot. However, for future trips I plan to purchase bigger pannier bags, because my back muscles are occupied with supporting my lungs for breathing, so I don’t like to wear a backpack for more than a few hours per day. I suffer from COPD, an emphysema with only 60 percent of the lung capacity.

Did you get xperi nice any issues charging up the battery for the bike, as it can't be easy cycling on one of those with no battery power available?
    You have to carefully plan the daily route and to be prepared for unexpected circumstances like strong headwind or steep rises, which of course cause more power consumption, but usually everything went really fine and effortlessly. Only one time, after some 37.3 miles (60 kilometres) through hilly terrain, the battery capacity was done sooner as expected, but I had to take a lunch break anyway, and the restaurant owner allowed my to recharge the battery in the meantime.

Werner.

I'm Andr'e.

Köszeg looks very nice, reminds me of my home town in Rotherham

I'm joe.

Lovely pictures and a great story, thanks very much for sharing them with us.

Back when I was a lad, my father took me and my brother to look at the house in Liverpool we lived in when I was tiny, and before my brother was born. Not only had the house been demolished, the street itself had disappeared! So much for that trip down memory lane!

I'm Kevin.

My uncle did a bit of cycle tourism.
    This is him on one of his rides - hence the "travelling light" comment.

A top bag on the back would remove the need for a backpack.
    The handlebar bag is also useful for the important stuff,mas it is quick to remove.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Werner.

Joe,

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Lovely pictures and a great story, thanks very much for sharing them with us.
    you’re welcome, and thank you so much for looking at my pictures and listening to my story. However, a very interesting and touching part of my story happened when Nouras, a refugee from Syria, invited me on a drink because I didn’t have the matching coins for the vending machine while waiting for our train to arrive.

He told me about the used car business he owned in Damascus, the four years he spent studying English literature and a whole lot of other things no one would believe …
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 08-06-2016 at 14:31.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast