+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Audiometric test

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Some laughable CD or Freebie online Applet is NOT going to give worthwhile results..
    except possibly a few $$ in the pockets of the Shill selling it.
    Not sure about the somewhat derisive tone.

What do you mean, are you saying people won't hear what's on a CD?

We are not talking about laboratory conditions here, but test tones will certainly give a listener some idea of what frequencies they may or may not percieve.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Not hearing much above 13khz nothing above 14khz
    Which is what I would expect from previous tests I have done using various sources on various different systems

Have wondered how any sounds above this matter if I cant hear them

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why the agressive tone Danilo? Are you a professional audiometrist?

Nobody said it was a definative test and an alternative to a professional audiometric survey conducted in a clinic or laboratory.

There are a range of test tones on a CD I have, and through my system and with my ears, I can hear 40Hz throught to 12,000Hz. In fact I can hear 32Hz (the opening organ note on Straus's "Also Spract Zarathustra"). Not bad for 66 year old using Quad ELS speakers (57).

In reply to those who observe they cannot hear high frequencies (> 10KHz), and wonder whether they need to use equipment that has a wide frequency range - I would say yes, you do. Even though you cannot directly perceive a pure high frequency sine wave tone, you would readity notice the difference if the high frequencies were removed from the spectrum of overtones of a musical instrument.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    Have wondered how any sounds above this matter if I cant hear them
    I answered that in post 7 David.

Higher frequencies are essential to the perceived structure of sounds. Whether you think you are sensing them or not. That is why many speaker manufacturers introduced a 'supertweeter' above the Celestion HF1300 in the seventies. The HF1300 output cuts off almost completely above 13kHz and although that is not necessarily audible, the inclusion of the extra tweeter above it has a very distinct effect. Very noticeable when switched out of circuit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Yes Geoff I understand the idea

Just one of those things I will still wonder about

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    Just one of those things I will still wonder about
    A strange thing is that even with a speaker that has well extended treble, say to over 20kHz, a supertweeter can have a beneficial effect. This is not always the case though. Where it works is I think due to a 'smoothing' effect. Maybe some harmonic interplay at supersonic levels? It works with Tannoys, but has the downside of blurring the pinpoint imaging slightly.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I answered that in post 7 David.

Higher frequencies are essential to the perceived structure of sounds. Whether you think you are sensing them or not. That is why many speaker manufacturers introduced a 'supertweeter' above the Celestion HF1300 in the seventies. The HF1300 output cuts off almost completely above 13kHz and although that is not necessarily audible, the inclusion of the extra tweeter above it has a very distinct effect. Very noticeable when switched out of circuit.
    Indeed you are right, David Blackmer putting extensive study into high frequencies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._Blackmer

"As well as audio noise reduction, Blackmer worked on extending the frequency response of audio electronics beyond the conventionally accepted audible range of 20 kHz. He also published research on the value of ultrasonic frequencies in sound reproduction, claiming that the time resolution of human hearing is 5 microseconds or better—which would correspond to a frequency of 200 kHz, requiring audio equipment ideally to have a flat response to that frequency.[2]"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12