+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Brian.

Looks fantastic Andy , unrecognizable , but fantastic nevertheless

Hope it sounds as good as it looks mate .

I'm listening to mine , in stock form , just now and it sounds very good indeed . Just shows what a versatile unit the GL75 is .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Brian, thanks! The Lenco really is a marvel of design. I know that I could push this 75 a lot further but I really need to know how this current iteration performs and then we could get really freaky! Just wait for the next update and I'll detail some of the ideas that I have for the 75!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

look forward to your finding Andy .

' Freaky ' should be interesting
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Bah humbug, no update tonight still waiting for the ebony to make my tonearm mount and then a shed load of listening. I also have x3 JJ ECC83s kicking around to experiment with in the EAR clone, could they toppple the MULLARD CV4004's? Only time will tell!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Oh well...until next time then
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Reference Lenco Pt C- Premature retirement?

We are now at part 100 of this decks development, evolution. I have done many things to the deck and I still think that I have lots more tweaking and buggering about with the deck before I'm happy. I managed to get my ebony armboard made. I have had a long love affair with ebony and have used it on several TT's over the years. It dampens things down quite nicely and fetches an instant improvement to the sonics of any deck. Ebony seems to provide a greater insight into what's recorded and adds so much more detail. I noticed an immediate improvement when I installed the ebony armboard over the birchply version that I had been using.

ebony.jpg

The ebony armboard

Other areas that had been bugging were the platter speed stability and power going into the 75's motor. I have long suspected that variations of voltage going into the motor may have a negative sonic impact on the performance of the 75. I have been sing a NSC for quite some time and it does an excellent job. I have now found a second Phoenix engineering PSU and Tachometer, I have not fully installed them but they do have massive benefits over the NSC. Firstly the Pheonix unit attempts to clean up the power supply going into the Lenco's motor, I will already be supplying a pretty stiffly regulated and cleaned up power supply from my PS Audio P10 unit so the Lenco's motor should have some pretty good juice going into it. Now, the Pheonix tachometer is pretty cool and monitors the speed of the platter and provides speed correction to within .001 of a RPM which is far better than my current setup. I don't have to worry about voltage variations going into the 75's motor (or the effects on platter speed) or having to worry about the idler arms position and I won't have to externally measure the platters speed. In theory I could do away with the idler arm and externally mount the idler wheel which means that it won't be prone to motor vibration from the top plate. So, rather than decoupling the motor I just decouple the idler wheel. A decoupled idler wheel could be quite useful as it leads to the possibility of fine tuning the interface between idler wheel's edge and the platter. I don't know if this will produce any sonic gains but it's another area of experimentation. I have had the Pheonix system installed on my Garrard 301 for some time and it performs perfectly. I have also bought 10 ferrite chokes which I think add a positive effect and for £5 I can't really complain, theyt shall be used on the Pheonix system's cabling.
    s-l500.jpg
    Ferrite chokes

pheonix.jpg

The Pheonix Engineering PSU & Tachometer.

I've always banged on about the external things which make the 75 sound so good. Today I've been polishing the pins to my x3 Mullard CV4004 valves. I flirted with x3 JJ ECC83S valves and hated them. The JJ values just seemed to lack detail and sounded very very lazy in comparison to the Mullard valves. I must admit that JJ do supply many version of the ECC83 and perhaps they warrant more research but I was very glad to strap the Mullards back in place. The mullards provide a very forensic picture of anything which is recorded on vinyl.

4004.jpg

The x3 Mullard CV 4004's.

Now this project https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=30653.0 over on LH really interested me. This guy really has some very good ideas on how to fine tune a Lenco and I look forward to ultimately seeing what he intends to do with his deck. I quite like what he's done with the motor and I wonder if this is going to be the way that I progress with decoupling the motor.

So, overall I'm VERY VERY happy with the 75, the previous sets of modifcations have worked out quite well. The deck has never sounded better. As ever the 75 is a WIP and next time we meet I'll discuss some of the area's that I intend to explore. So, retirement (for the time being) looks like it's been temporarily shelved.

As ever, stay tuned .
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Reference Lenco Pt CI- More precision!

Yowzers! Here we are at part 101 of the Lenco Reference. I've been playing around with other decks and modding a Radford amp on the side. The deck has moved another step closer to potentially being in another league. After a lot of trial and error I have managed to get the Lenco running with my Eagle PSU, this is great news at it takes up considerably less space than my NSC unit, it also means that I now have access to a tachometer which can control the Lenco's speed to within +/- 0.001-3 RPM of 33 or 45 RPM . I have had to dump some of the fancy silver wiring and the chokes in favour of bog standard wiring but this may be altered at some point in the future back to silver. I'm just in the process of perfecting the setup.

The Eagle PSU powering the Lenco and the not so glamorous wiring.

eagle.jpgwiring.jpg

Now for something a little boring, damping factors. I did originally make some ebony footers for my Garrard 301 equipment rack but decided to see if they would fit on the Lenco deck, they do but they are a little thick so I need to find an alternative, and this has come in the form of a bamboo chopping board. I shall when time permits make 4 new bamboo washers for the top plate mounting threads. Currently I have 4 stainless steel washers rattling around in there and they have a damping factor of about 0.008 will bamboo easily beats this with a value of 0.200, this means that any vibration travelling down the mounting threads is going to have a much harder time travelling back into the plinth via the washers. So, in a nutshell less vibration should be travelling back into the plinth and ultimately the platter and vinyl.

The prototype ebony washers.

ebony washers.jpg

Well that's it for another session. As ever stay tuned......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Tonight's Update - The Reference Lenco Pt CI- More precision!

Yowzers! Here we are at part 101 of the Lenco Reference. I've been playing around with other decks and modding a Radford amp on the side. The deck has moved another step closer to potentially being in another league. After a lot of trial and error I have managed to get the Lenco running with my Eagle PSU, this is great news at it takes up considerably less space than my NSC unit, it also means that I now have access to a tachometer which can control the Lenco's speed to within +/- 0.001-3 RPM of 33 or 45 RPM . I have had to dump some of the fancy silver wiring and the chokes in favour of bog standard wiring but this may be altered at some point in the future back to silver. I'm just in the process of perfecting the setup.

The Eagle PSU powering the Lenco and the not so glamorous wiring.

eagle.jpgwiring.jpg

Now for something a little boring, damping factors. I did originally make some ebony footers for my Garrard 301 equipment rack but decided to see if they would fit on the Lenco deck, they do but they are a little thick so I need to find an alternative, and this has come in the form of a bamboo chopping board. I shall when time permits make 4 new bamboo washers for the top plate mounting threads. Currently I have 4 stainless steel washers rattling around in there and they have a damping factor of about 0.008 will bamboo easily beats this with a value of 0.200, this means that any vibration travelling down the mounting threads is going to have a much harder time travelling back into the plinth via the washers. So, in a nutshell less vibration should be travelling back into the plinth and ultimately the platter and vinyl.

The prototype ebony washers.

ebony washers.jpg

Well that's it for another session. As ever stay tuned......
    I will try and get hold of one of those phoenix PSU's when they become available again as my needs maybe greater than yours!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

The Pheonix PSU is a very good product. Well worth the brass, looks like they are going to update the design to maybe something better. The tachometer is the best bit. I've still got a few bits to sort out before I'm going back to the Lenco. Stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Reference Lenco Pt CII- Jolly holidays mini update..

The 75 hasn't been touched in ages and this is due down to my disorganised life! The EAR 834P clone has finally been sent to Mr. Firebottle I'm hopefully to get better cartridge loading and hopefully better sonics. The 75 will now take pride of place in all VALVE setup with a Radford pre and power amp. I'm very hopeful that we should get some great results. I have also seen a new platter dampening product available which costs £20. I'll maybe think about purchasing one in the future but I think that I need to get some grasp of the sonic nature of the deck in it's current guise before I can comment of the effects of future tweaks and upgrades. So, with not a great deal happening I'll sign off and await Mr. Firebottle to do his magic!

As ever, stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread