+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - The Lenco Reference Pt XCIV - LOADSA STUFF!

The 75 has undergone some serious work since the last update. The paint has been stripped for a start and we have filled in some holes along the way. I'm hoping this is going to be the last paint job for this 75. The top plate now sits in a very highly modded plinth of which very careful attention has been paid towards trying to generate the greatest amount of surface area bewteen the opposing surfaces of the plinth and the top plate, ultimately trying to produce the greatest amount of coupling surface area between the surfaces. I'm still in the process of modding the plinth as I think this can be tweaked further, not much, but still I think further gains can be made.

I've been tinkering with the electrics of the 75 and I'm happy to report that I've managed to dump even more components and here they are :-

lite.jpg

The whole idea of dumping components may seem strange. My logic is quite simple in that minimising interfacing surfaces, and components capable of transmitting EMI/RFI and vibration should hopefully lead to better deck performance (the jury is still out)!!!!!

The 75 really has been modded to within an inch of it's life. The bearing received several upgrades. Firstly the ball bearing was replaced was an uprated jobby to handle the additional weight of the new platter mat and dual the double heavy platters. The thrust plte was replaced with something that wouldn't warp under heavy loads and the oil was changed. The platters now spin for stupid long times.

bearing.jpg

Now for something skin deep. The 75 received some new motor springs courtesy of Sien over on LH. I've also purchased a non-magnetic platter mat which I'm still assessing.

rough75.jpg

And now for some details on things that you don't see. I've been paying very close attention to detail. The isolation plinth has now been properly levelled out. The 75 has also received new mounting threads, washers and nuts. The top-plate now sits flush to the plinth, something which didn't quite happen last time. I can now achieve greater amounts of coupling using a high powered drill with appropriate socket set . The tonearm is now fully coupled to the top plate without the need of several mounting bolts and all the associated gubbins. The new tonearm coupling design allows assessment of new woods for the tonearm mount with minimal effort so this should extend experimentation for a little longer.

The motor is still a little noisy and need some work and I think I'll need to spend another week or two tweaking the deck before I'm happy to start assessment of all the new mods. Should be quite interesting.

As ever stay tuned and see you at some point in the future.....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Good work Andy . What colour are you painting it ?

I'm also thinking about purchasing one of Sien's platter mats . Look forward to your feedback on this and all the other mods you've done
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Brian, painting it the usual black colour. It will be some time before I review all the bits I need to be happy with the decks setup before I start to evaluate anything.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Aye , my GL75 is a bit easier to set up than yours Probably doesn't sound as good though
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - The Lenco Reference Pt XCV - Not so Crystal clear .

The 75 is sounding better than ever. I have had 2 weeks messing around and getting used to it's new "house" sound. I've spent some time using the excellent SPH SSS platter mat and and trying to find out it the latest range of mods have been beneficial. Well I got a real surprise. The SSS mat turned out to be more of a diagnostic aid than platter mat upgrade in that it highlighted a very obvious cartridge/phonostage gain mismatch. I was hearing simply too much treble energy so now I'm using my old Analog studio crystal mat which now appears to be giving even better results than the SSS mat. The deck is throwing out lots of detail but in a seemingly mellow manner, confused? Welcome to the club! The motor on the 75 is running a little loud whilst previously it ran to near silence, in all honesty you can only just hear it from 6ft away but it is something that I should address I suppose. The plinth could have a little extra mass added and I think I could probably get a little more marine resin in and around the tonearm voids, more mass and more damping control. The speed of the platter could be better controlled I'm running + 0.2/3 RPM at the moment, this is something that I'm not too worried about considering the deck is still in prototype mode. It still needs painting properly but at the moment I'm just enjoying the sonics.

The quest continues, as ever stay tuned.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

So you reckon the Crystal mat is better than Sien's mat on the GL75 Andy ? Is this the one you're using mate http://www.analogueseduction.net/tur...atter-mat.html

I was thinking of upgrading the mat and your review has possibly come along at the right time .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    So you reckon the Crystal mat is better than Sien's mat on the GL75 Andy ? Is this the one you're using mate http://www.analogueseduction.net/tur...atter-mat.html

I was thinking of upgrading the mat and your review has possibly come along at the right time .
    Brian, didnt see this sorry for taking a while to reply. Yes, thats the mat I use. And the Jury is still out with respects to which is better on the 75, I'm a bit "plattered out"! I've had the crystal mat on the 75 and it does sound very very good. I think I probably need to do a side by side comparison, for the moment I'm enjoying the sonics whilst I'm building up my strength to do another comparison session!!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Lol ...Thanks Andy . Never been ' plattered out ' ...but there's still time

I will leave the purchase until you have posted your findings
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - The Lenco Reference Pt XCVI - Tweaking external factors.

I'm listening to the 75 now as I type this. The latest round of mods have worked really really well. I'm listening to Jazz and I'm pleased to say that the tonality of things is truly fantastic. The Shure M55E has never sounded better and I wonder just how much more I can get out of this excellent little cartridge. Sometimes it pays to look at other areas which can be possibly tweaked. I decided purely by chance that tonearm cable capacitance was something that really needed to be looked at. I use a Nordost TYR mk 1 tonearm cable on the 75 and I have no idea of it's capacitance, several websites have stated between 11-25pf, that's not very helpful, so I emailed Nordost themselves to try and get an answer. Ideally I'd like my 834 modded so that I can change cable capacitance and make for a better matching between it and any cables I may wish to experiment with. Variable manipulation and flexibility is the key! I can't see myself swapping away from my EAR834 clone, it just sounds so good and whilst it's not the best phonostage in the world it's ok for me and the Lenco. I've also been messing around with the ECC83 valve again. I wanted to try the CV4004 variant and after a little looking around in my spares, I managed to find 3 which I've plumbed into the 834, these have replaced my Telefunkens for the time being and I'm having fun listening to them. I've been highly impressed with military valve variants especially the RCA 5691, so I wanted to spill this over to the Lenco and hence the CV4004 plumbed into the EAR 834 clone.
    These tweaks are not turntable based but are based around the hardware that's needed to run the 75, it's an example of thinking outside the box.

As an aside I've been messing around with Platter mat's and have tried the SSS platter mat from Sien over on LH. This may is truly excellent but I decided that I wanted to retry the Analogue Studio crystal mat on the 75. This had previously been sitting around on my 1210 making some very very good noises, things moved up a gear when this thing was plonked on the 1210 and now I've done a complete swap!!!!! The SSS mat sits on the 1210 and has moved things up another notch and the 75 now sports the Crystal mat. So, the Crystal mat is my new reference mat on the 75. The Joly bearing brace has also been a bone of contention in that the platter can scrape the top plate if it's too tight, so it's been a careful, slow process of deciding just how much torque to apply to the brace nut. I don't want to loose the brace as it's a very useful mechanism further adding additional clamping to the bearing and the top plate to the plinth. The 75 is now nearly optimally set up and boy can you tell, cosmetically the deck looks like it's been through a war but boy does it sound good.

As ever, stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Nice write up again Andy . Looks like it's the crystal mat for the GL75 then . I may well have to seek out another M55E again too

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the mats . Do you use anything else with the crystal mat ?
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread