+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm James.

I track at 1.6 and start off level VTA then drop the arm a little so back end of cartridge slightly down but start level and see what you think.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

That's pretty much what I've done, I've set up a few of these "black" carts now and realised setting the back end down a smidge works well. Quite funny listening to a pair of JR149's, surprised at what these little speakers can pump out. Sounds good so far and that's without twiddling around, I've only played a couple of sides, no critical listening yet.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

That one still sounds very good even though it has done about 800 hours.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Listening is quite favourable. It seems to be pulling more out of the grooves than a SC35C with JICO SAS/B stylus. The 2MB is up against some stiff competetion, I now have my M55e fitted with a SAS/B cantilever which I haven't tried. So, 3 MM's at the moment to evaluate!! 8=> What are your thoughts regards M55E JICO SAS/B and the 2MB, didn't you do a comparison at some point?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The M55 SAS Jico stylus was far quieter in the groove and very good top end. However the SAS stylus does not have the big ballsy sound of the standard Shure M55 stylus. The 2M Black was more alive and dynamic, transparency and detail greater. If it’s in those grooves the 2M will find it! Tonal quality can be very good with the 2M and it does tell you very quickly the quality of the recording you are listening too. The M55 SAS Jico is more forgiving and an easier listen in some respects.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The M55 SAS Jico stylus was far quieter in the groove and very good top end. However the SAS stylus does not have the big ballsy sound of the standard Shure M55 stylus. The 2M Black was more alive and dynamic, transparency and detail greater. If it’s in those grooves the 2M will find it! Tonal quality can be very good with the 2M and it does tell you very quickly the quality of the recording you are listening too. The M55 SAS Jico is more forgiving and an easier listen in some respects.

Thanks. I'll take note of what you've said. I'm building a new tonearm cable so the 2M is silent at the mo....... 8-(
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

It is quite sensitive to capacitance so good to get a cable that suits? Are you using it the the Alphason?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It is quite sensitive to capacitance so good to get a cable that suits? Are you using it the the Alphason?
    Yes, I've already removed the loading plugs for the M55E and noticed a nice difference, I've not worked out the Capacitance yet with the new tonearm cable.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Kevin.

How are you getting on with the 2M Black Andrew?
    I would love to compare one with either my AT20SLa (Can be fitted with the SLA or SS stylus assembly) or my Technics EPC-U205 with a Jico SAS/B or SAS/S.
    Both will offer a different flavour compared to the 2MB, and styli are still available for both, and are probably cheaper than the 2MB replacements.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

Hi Kevin, I'm really liking the 2M Black, I have one on loan from Jim and I can keep it for a while yet . I have to be completely honest. I have had the 2MB strapped in and was blown away by its ability to dig out detail. Things just seem to leap out when using the 2MB over the SC35C + JICO SAS/B stylus. The SC35C is an excellent combo and one I'd quite happily live with if I was restricted to vintage MM's. But, I have strapped in my old steed the Shure M55E with M447x+JICO SAS/B stylus, I have a feeling that this is going to be the worst out of the three that I have to test. So, my thoughts are to put some hours on the M55e and the make some copious notes, then go up the ladder, the SC35C, then the 2MB. I'll make notes and compare. Should take a while, I think I already know the outcome but we shall see!! The Technics EPC-U205 is indeed venerable, never tried one, maybe one for the bucket list.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast