+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It is still the best cartridge I have heard in my system Rob and I have tried a fair few.
    Not surprisd Jim.

Hi-fi news did a Cartridge Group Test (£500 High output pick-ups) in March 2011 ( I still have a copy)

Denon DL-160, Goldring 2500, Nagaoka MP-300 (the MP500 should have been chosen probably imo), The Ortofon 2M Black and the Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III

THe 2MB received Outsstanding Product.

Regardless of that it was the reveiwers findings that were so spot on and matched my own experince.

It was as if he'd been in my head and expressed from it. Either that or in my system room during sessions.

I related to everything he wrote. A great reveiw that covers everything we've expressed before, quote

"The schollchildren's vocal interlude later in this track almost literally jumped out from the three-dimensional soundstage produced by the 2M black,
    while the regal piano chords sounded ful bodied and startlingly real".

"Deep bass might not have been hugely extended, but it was textured, detailed and extraordinarily clear.
    Moreover the parping brass and sublime guitar-picking sounding sensational, instruments described explicitly in their individual acoustic settings".

It was natural recordings of full orchestra that revealed absolutely that the 2MB is a stellar moving-magnet cartridge.
    The Dallas SO's Symphonic Dance was reproduced in truly holographic fashion and the description of instrumental timbres - cello, oboes, strings - wonderfully lifelike:
    like that delivered by the finest moving-coils.
    The clarity and speed of the 2M Black led to a spectacular performance of Varese's 'dificult' Arcana with its dissonant percussive elements, the acoustic space of the Los Angeles concert hall reproduced in three dimensions"

Enough said ....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

Thanks for posting that up Rob, not read that review. If I was to choose one quality the 2M excelled in its 'live' realism. It reproduces music, vocals and instruments in such a way they sound explicit and tangible. It may not be the best balanced cartridge in some respects and as we have discussed many times it is a bugger to set up for the first time. But I have yet to hear a cartridge that can thrill me every time I use it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-10-2018 at 08:57.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Thanks for posting that up Rob, not read that review. If I was to choose one quality the 2M excelled in it is its 'live' realism. It reproduces music, vocals and instruments in such a way they sound explicit and tangible. It may not be the best balanced cartridge in some respects and as we have discussed many times it is a bugger to set up for the first time. But I have yet to hear a cartridge that can thrill me every time I use it.
    Yes, Indeed and spot on. It is the first cart that 'thrilled' as you say
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mick.

Its legendary for fiddly set up. Causes many hours of pain but worth every part once its there.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

Bigman80 Guest

It is still the best cartridge I have heard in my system Rob and I have tried a fair few.
    You'd like this DL-S1 Jim. Head amp rather than SUT and you'd be off to a flier!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm richard.

I'll risk my arm on this one guys... The 100th Anniversary price is £299 for the black stylus. I'm very tempted. But I have a Rega RP3 with 2MBronze so I just swap. Would I have the devil's job in setting it up in the Rega arm?

Views please?

Ta Richard

Bigman80 Guest

No VTA adjustable and no Azimuth makes for a tough setup IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    I'll risk my arm on this one guys... The 100th Anniversary price is £299 for the black stylus. I'm very tempted. But I have a Rega RP3 with 2MBronze so I just swap. Would I have the devil's job in setting it up in the Rega arm?

Views please?

Ta Richard

I'm richard.

I have a 2mm shim fitted. It keeps the arm parallel. But can't do much else with the arm.... So maybe a bad idea then?

Bigman80 Guest

Not necessarily but you'd have to keep adding and removing the shims to get the VTA right. It may not be far off your current cart in height though but the Black is notorious for being a shit to setup. Some even have the tail down. It's not impossible but difficult due to the arm.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You'd like this DL-S1 Jim. Head amp rather than SUT and you'd be off to a flier!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    I do like the DL-S1 Oli as I heard it with Marco's Head amp and it was stunning! But there are many reasons why it won't happen in my system just now and I am more than happy with the 2M. When you are up in the top flight world of great cartridges that all do great things in the end you have to go with the one that works best in your system for whatever reason.

Science and technical reasoning go out the window as you know when you hear something right or wrong in your system and you have to go with that personal experience that rings your bell!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast