+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by karma1967 View Post
    hi jimbo, i liked my 2m black when i had one,i mounted it on an alphasom hr100.,if i went mm again i'd have another.
    Its a great cartridge Jamie as you know and still a difficult MM to improve on.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

I think the other “high end” alternatives just give a different flavour, but I would be hard pushed to state which was the “best” as it is system/personal taste dependant.

My all time favourite “MM/MI” is the Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic, but they are no longer available, and we’re considerably more expensive than the 2MB, without the replaceable stylus assembly.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I think the other “high end” alternatives just give a different flavour, but I would be hard pushed to state which was the “best” as it is system/personal taste dependant.

My all time favourite “MM/MI” is the Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic, but they are no longer available, and we’re considerably more expensive than the 2MB, without the replaceable stylus assembly.
    That is the same conclusion I have come too. Not heard the Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic.

Are you still using a Hana MC?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Kevin.

No. got rid of the Hana a while ago.
    I have a DV XX2 Mk2 now.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    No. got rid of the Hana a while ago.
    I have a DV XX2 Mk2 now.
    Ahh interesting I heard a range of Dynavectors sometime back and really liked the Te Kaitora Rua but even with a discount it would have been over £2500! Beautiful rendition of top end information with notes floating in space and very present. Etheral and utterly transparent. Not got the balls of a 2M though!

My mate has a DRT XV-1s strapped to his VPI Prime Scout and it is a killer cartridge but eye watering price.

I'm Kevin.

I don’t think you will find that the XX2 lacks balls.
    It may be slightly warmer than the 2MB, but it has a good dynamic sound. I have stopped looking for another MC.
    If I was buying new, I would try and find an AT Art9, or more likely the Hana ML.

It is quite interesting that in this thread that the AT sound is described as having a strident treble. One of the common criticisms of the 2MB is that is sounds thin. It just goes to show that you need to try these things for yourself, and see how it gels with your system and ears.
    Kevin

I'm James.

So many variables to contend with when integrating a cartridge with a system. Tonearm/turntable, phono stage, cables, amplification,speakers....room.... etc , in fact everything can have an influence on how these little electrical generators sound.

My 2M certainly does not sound thin in my system. I have had cartridges that actually sound too fat!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by karma1967 View Post
    hi jimbo, i liked my 2m black when i had one,i mounted it on an alphasom hr100.,if i went mm again i'd have another.
    This is my current tonearm with my latest MM adventures, a bit limited being a low mass tonearm at 9-11g (I think), but very very good when properly matched with a high compliance MM + JICO stylus (or equivalent). Never tried a 2M black however.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    This is my current tonearm with my latest MM adventures, a bit limited being a low mass tonearm at 9-11g (I think), but very very good when properly matched with a high compliance MM + JICO stylus (or equivalent). Never tried a 2M black however.
    A 2M Black could be made available if you haven't tried one.

I'm Andrew.

Jim, I've just been checking over the compliance of the 2MB with my Alphason HR100 and it appears to be an extremely good match! Have a look at this -->
    http://korfaudio.com/calculator a very useful webpage to keep stored away. My Tonearm effective mass is 9-11g , cartridge weight 7g, weight on ancilleries 3g, compliance of 2MB is 22. It all measures well into the green. So, yep, I'd love to have a go!
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 04-09-2022 at 15:03.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast