+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    My heart tells me to go for an MC cartridge I think will I will like and then get a SUT specifically built to give the cartidge the required amount of step up required to enable me to continue using the Croft. I have found a company that will do this and has a very good reputation for very high quality sound from their SUTs.
    ^^ Exactly this ^^

Yup, and (vast experience), using a similar phono stage/preamp tells me it's by far the best way, but you need to get it *right*, and that means synergy between the gain of the Croft's MM stage and that of the SUT, as much as matching the SUT to the partnering cartridge.

Another important consideration is that you're using a unipivot arm, which has a different type of sonic signature to gimballed arms, and mass-wise can only optimise MC cartridges of appropriate compliance (i.e. low-compliance types aren't really suitable and won't give of their best).

Something else to think about too, Jim, is going the MC head amp route, as opposed to SUTs. I've 'been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt' with SUTs, and with a Croft MM phono stage, to my ears, especially in a system like yours which has no harsh edges (and so the sound doesn't need 'taming' in any way), head amps give a much punchier and more dynamic sound than certainly any SUT I've heard so far - and you can match them to a partnering MC cartridge much easier, too.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Therefore, in summary, it just depends on what he's looking for and how he wants to go about achieving it, but it would be churlish to assume that more expensive automatically equals better, as that's not how it works with cartridges

Marco.
    absolutely agree but in my opinion and thats all it is, is based on ownership of both cartridges and also a denon 160,nice as they are they just dont compare to the 2m black.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Sure, Jamie, that's your valid opinion, based on your tastes, which I'm sure many will agree with, and rightly so

Generally I just don't get on with the voicing of 95% of modern cartridges, and that includes those from Ortofon.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not necessarily. It depends how you listen to music, the kind of music you like, and the sonic presentation you prefer.

Like most Denon cartridges, sonically, they punch WAY above their price point, so you can't really judge it as a £300 cartridge, as in some areas it'll outperform ones costing double (or more). Much will depend on how successfully you get the most out of it, based on what you use it with.

Unlike some others here, I'm not a fan of Ortofon's 2M range of MMs, and that includes the Black. I admire what it does in a hi-fi sense, but musically, it leaves me cold, although I can understand in Jim's system, with the T/T and arm he uses (which has a beautifully fluid and easy-going sound) and the valve amplification, that effect will be largely ameliorated.

Therefore, in summary, it just depends on what he's looking for and how he wants to go about achieving it, but it would be churlish to assume that more expensive automatically equals better, as that's not how it works with cartridges

Marco.
    I hear what you are saying, but the Hana punch way above their price point.
    One review said it is the best £3k to £4K cartridge you can get for £1k. My idea behind borrowing the MH was to see if Jimbo likes the tone of the cartridge, as this seems to be one of the main things he looks for in music playback. If not he can forget the Hanas and look elsewhere.

However, as he likes the 2M Black, he may be better sticking with the Ortofon house sound?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I can't comment on Hana, as I haven't heard any of their cartridges, and so I don't discuss what I don't know. It may well be a viable option for Jim, but I'm not qualified to comment.

However, just because he likes the 2M Black (in his system) doesn't necessarily mean he might not like something else even more, and yes of course that could mean an Ortofon MC, if he likes the Ortofon 'house sound'

In my opinion and experience though, there are FAR better cartridge manufacturers out there, producing designs that are much more musically rewarding.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

I am not particularly inclined towards Ortofon and have an open mind in that respect but the 2M does give me the ballsy "live" sound I like and covers pretty well the rest of the music spectrum however I do feel it can sometimes verge on the thin analytical side and I get that aspect about this cartridge.

I am really looking for the decisive clarity of a 2M black but with a bit more nuance and air that I believe good MC cartridges can deliver. I like a big soundstage with good depth and a feeling the cartridge can connect you with the performer in a realistic manner and a presentation that gives a slightly fuller meaty sound. The 2M has a lazer like clarity but tonally it can be a bit lacking in the mid lower bass in its eagerness to give you detail and resolution.

That is why I moved on to the FGS stylus I have in the 2M however this option has become expensive and difficult because of the customs situation with Europe so for the time being it is not a consideration. Besides which I fancy a change and am therefore considering options with MC cartridges.

Its a tricky item to sort , like speakers they all have their pros and cons and inevitably I feel I will have to compromise somewhere.

As you say Marco there are plenty of options out there but it is an expensive area to dabble in if you get it wrong so in some ways I am looking for a "safe bet"!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

I feel your pain in trying to select an MC cartridge, especially when you can’t get to shows or dealers to audition a few. That is why I ended up buying one I have heard, and like. The ML was an interesting proposition, but what if I don’t like it?

Jamie mentioned that Guy at Puresound may lend a Hana out. It may be worth contacting him to see if he has an MH.

I had an SL, and it is a good cartridge, but not massively different to a 2MB, IMHO.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Default Back in Black

I’m the same as Marco on Ortofon, yeah they let you hear everything that your system can do, but for me I just don’t hear the music from them. Funnily enough it’s the same with Zyx, no toe tapping there either.

Hana ML does this for me, and I’m pretty sure every review has said it’s a significant step up from the SL, don’t buy an SL it’ll only disappoint and you’d end up at an ML soon after lol.

PS: be patient about an ML, I picked mine up with very low hours at less than retail

I'm James.

Yes the ML does appeal having read so many good words about it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Wow, five years have flipped past since I started this post and nothing has come along to challenge the 2M Black in my system. I have heard a lot of gear since I first put this system together and although some of it was OK nothing stood out as being better, just different. I think Ortofon got this cartridge bang on as they have decided not to replace it either in the 10 years since it was released and have not released any MM to better it.

It may not be everyones taste but for those of us who like it it is a spectacular cartridge which for me has been a rock solid key component in my system. I wonder how long it will be before Ortofon retire this beauty and replace it with the next generation of MM cartridges?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast