+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jim,

If you do decide to give MCs another blast, you might like a high-output one, straight into the MM stage of your Croft, thus negating the use for any head amps or SUTs, complicating matters! Just a thought...

I think a Denon DL-110 would work superbly on your arm (with the VPI) and produce a sound you'd greatly enjoy, plus it's very well priced [excellent SPPV]

See here: https://www.hifix.co.uk/denon-dl110-...iAAEgL4EfD_BwE

Marco.
    Thanks for the heads up on that cartridge Marco. Indeed I have been pondering some high output MC cartridges as the Croft does have a hefty amount of gain and would probably be OK. There are a number of candidates including a Hana EH /SH ,Sumiko Blue point and Dynavector 10x5 MK2 but had not considered the Denon 110.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, mate. I honestly do think the high-output route, with MCs, is the one to go down in your system and also to remove the whole matching ball ache with SUTs, etc, you get with the low-output route.

All the cartridges you mention are good in their own way (offer different 'flavours'), but the 110's a great all-rounder and a fun cartridge to listen to with all sorts of music. It'll give you that 'open and airy' MC sound, but with the 'drive and balls' of a good MM.

Trust me, it makes sense

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

but if jimbo's main cartridge is a 2m black he's going to be very disapointed by the denon 110.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

I personally think he would be better off with a Hana MH, or something like a Dynavector DV20X2-H.
    Yes, they are more expensive, but a 110 is almost a step down from what he has.

I think a loan of an MH will satisfy Jimbo’s curiosity.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

To be honest I think to beat the 2M Black I should be aiming higher with an MC cartridge as lower end cartidges have left me uninspired. I am not saying they were not good but just did not perform better than the 2M especially my FGS version. One cartridge that nearly convinced me was the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and certainly a couple of dynavectors especially the te kaitora but at £3500 this sort of MC is way out of my price range.

I think I simply have to bite the bullet and commit to something like a Hana ML or maybe a top end Audio Technica but there are quite a few others I am considering including an EMT HSD 006 amongst others. This would definitely necessitate an MC phono stage or a very specific SUT both of which I am researching currently.

My heart tells me to go for an MC cartridge I think will I will like and then get a SUT specifically built to give the cartidge the required amount of step up required to enable me to continue using the Croft. I have found a company that will do this and has a very good reputation for very high quality sound from their SUTs.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Kevin.

Sounds like a plan. Is it not possible to borrow something like an MH first though?
    They are supposed to be very good.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Is it not possible to borrow something like an MH first though?
    They are supposed to be very good.
    Is that a Hana MH Kev?

I'm Kevin.

Yes, it is.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

From what I have read though, HOMC may not be quite as good as LOMC.
    Kevin

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    but if jimbo's main cartridge is a 2m black he's going to be very disapointed by the denon 110.
    Not necessarily. It depends how you listen to music, the kind of music you like, and the sonic presentation you prefer.

Like most Denon cartridges, sonically, they punch WAY above their price point, so you can't really judge it as a £300 cartridge, as in some areas it'll outperform ones costing double (or more). Much will depend on how successfully you get the most out of it, based on what you use it with.

Unlike some others here, I'm not a fan of Ortofon's 2M range of MMs, and that includes the Black. I admire what it does in a hi-fi sense, but musically, it leaves me cold, although I can understand in Jim's system, with the T/T and arm he uses (which has a beautifully fluid and easy-going sound) and the valve amplification, that effect will be largely ameliorated.

Therefore, in summary, it just depends on what he's looking for and how he wants to go about achieving it, but it would be churlish to assume that more expensive automatically equals better, as that's not how it works with cartridges

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast