+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME 3009 Series ii

I'm Chris.

Default SME 3009 Series ii

Hi,

I have a Thorens TD160B Mk 2 currently fitted with a Hadcock GH 228 tonearm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. I am thinking of changing the tonearm to a SME 3009 Series ii and would appreciate your thoughts on whether this would be a good upgrade? From what I have read the SME is a good match for the TD160 and if I have understood correctly I would need the detached headshell variant to match the compliance with the Ortofon cartridge although I may be wrong here!

Aside from ebay, are there any other marketplaces where I might find the SME arm?

Many thanks for any help

Chris

I'm Geoff.

The SME is nice on a TD160, but so should the Hadcock also be. Not sure a change would benefit the sound, but maybe the SME would be more convenient to use and look good, less fiddly to set up too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The SME is nice on a TD160, but so should the Hadcock also be. Not sure a change would benefit the sound, but maybe the SME would be more convenient to use and look good, less fiddly to set up too.
    The Hadcock is great, but is it really less fiddly to set up? I have a SME 3009 and it's a PITA, but fabulous when you've got it just so... with patience. It also looks the business. If the OP wants to message me, my SME could be available, but wasn't actually up for sale.

I'm Michael.

This is a fixed headshell SME, see HiFi For Sale https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobil...2160&prodt=sme

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    This is a fixed headshell SME, see HiFi For Sale https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobil...2160&prodt=sme
    It may be NOS, but that's more than three times what I'd consider paying.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It may be NOS, but that's more than three times what I'd consider paying.
    That's an absolute piss take! £250 in a box etc maximum... as a collectors item never to be used. What's the point in that? Like a Joe 90 car and you can't play with it...

I'm Grant.

sme no more are they not?? still too dear tho but it'll go for more than 250
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The Hadcock does sound good to my ears so maybe I will hang on to it as there doesn't seem to be a convincing argument to swap to a 3009. I bought the TD160/Hadcock from a friend back in the late 1970's and since then it has been moved around quite alot. I can't recall whether I ever had the original box and manual etc and whether any different counterweights were supplied. Currently I know it is not set up correctly as the Ortofon Blue is not tracking at the correct weight so I need to sort that out.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Boogie View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments. The Hadcock does sound good to my ears so maybe I will hang on to it as there doesn't seem to be a convincing argument to swap to a 3009. I bought the TD160/Hadcock from a friend back in the late 1970's and since then it has been moved around quite alot. I can't recall whether I ever had the original box and manual etc and whether any different counterweights were supplied. Currently I know it is not set up correctly as the Ortofon Blue is not tracking at the correct weight so I need to sort that out.
    Chris you should get yourself along to the NEBO in Billingham this Saturday the 13th, you’ll hear a lot of great gear plus I’ll be bringing a TD160 super, so you’ll get an idea of what’s possible and what different arms, carts can sound like on the Thorens

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Chris you should get yourself along to the NEBO in Billingham this Saturday the 13th, you’ll hear a lot of great gear plus I’ll be bringing a TD160 super, so you’ll get an idea of what’s possible and what different arms, carts can sound like on the Thorens
    Yes you should try to get there Chris, it looks like you are quite local to the venue. You will find a wealth of knowledge about your t/t, from a really helpful bunch of guys. It's also a great day out, informal and fun
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast