+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am totally confused, help please !!

I'm Kevin.

Lightbulb I am totally confused, help please !!

Hi
    I am trying to help an elderly gentleman who has a beloved pioneer pl-12d turntable and wishes to play his vast collection of vinyl (Big Band, Ballroom, Sinatra, etc) he has a 12 x 12 foot room, he has a megre budget of around £400-£450 to purchase both an amp and speakers, although he is quite insistent of having a good sound, and a new amp (i may be able to convincing him otherwise), i have scoured for days now and have got totally confused, i see the Onkyo A9010 had some good reviews for around £200 but seem in very short supply, i also considered the Yamaha As range up to around the same price, he is happy to buy used speakers (he wants floorstanders or stand mount) can anyone offer some suggestions please to some best combinations i should be looking for

I'm Geoff.

A good second hand Denon PMA-350SE with the optional phono stage for under £100 and a pair of Mordaunt Short Pageant II or original Mission 780SE speakers for about the same money all from eBay. It'll sound just fine. The Pageant II speakers can be upgraded easily too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

£450 will buy a lot on the used market these days, should easily be able to get what he wants for that amount.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

If you but online from Richer Sounds and let them know before the 14 days are up, you can return anything you buy for up to 28 days IIRC.

The amps you've suggested look good for the money (Cambridge Audio are also very good IMO) Q Acoustics speakers seem very popular at the moment. Maybe go to one of their branches for a listen?

I'm Steven.

When my son went to Uni last year I went to the local Richer Sounds and got a complete system - TEAC integrated with phono and separate TEAC CD unit, turntable with cart, speakers and cables for £600. The TEAC was a display item and half price. Think the speakers were Q Acoustics.

So I would pop into a store and see if there are any deals going.

+1 for Yamaha and Pioneer integrated amps.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Andr'e.

A+R Cambs A60 amp. You can pick one up less than a ton, in my honest opinion probably the best Intergrated ever made, utterly reliable.Never had an ounce of trouble in 35 years of use. Only downfall for people that find looks more important is its plain jane british minimalist look, No flashing lights & facilities any normal human being would never use.

£450.00 is ample to be able to build a great sounding system..

I'm Phil.

fabulous pair of mission 783 for 150 quid

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morein...prod_id=35168&
    offset=

denon amp 69 quid

http://2ndhandhifi.co.uk/product/den...ted-amplifier/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Kevin.

Thanks so much for all the advice, will look into all the options you have suggested

I'm nigel.

just over two weeks back I purchased a Yamaha A-S501 from richer sounds.....the price is currently 190 quid
    at this price it is a steal with a basic dac, lots of inputs including phono, bags of power (80wpc) and great build quality.
    being a yammy it has a slightly polite balance which allows long listening sessions without fatigue.

I strongly recommend a audition.

NIGE.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    If you but online from Richer Sounds and let them know before the 14 days are up, you can return anything you buy for up to 28 days IIRC.

The amps you've suggested look good for the money (Cambridge Audio are also very good IMO) Q Acoustics speakers seem very popular at the moment. Maybe go to one of their branches for a listen?
    What Mr Morley said. Bang on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast