+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lockwoods in da house! - advice please

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That sounds about right. But there's no way they are doing anything at 100Khz!
    I wouldn't know, Eh, what's that?

There was something registering on the phone anyway, doesn't matter a stuff I suppose.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Your phone microphone won't reach 20kHz nevermind 100kHz, most studio mics don't even reach 25khz
    That's good to know, every day's a school day.

I can say there was db on the screen which disappeared when I stopped the signal though, some sort of phenomen, phonom, pheo... strange thing.

I'm Martin.

It's really hard to make anything of your measurements but at a guess I'd say your problem is that bass level down around 40hz is at the same level as the 2Khz area when it really should be about 10dB higher give or take for a 'house curve' that will make the majority of recordings sound balanced. Your mid-band is too high in level, in other words.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's really hard to make anything of your measurements but at a guess I'd say your problem is that bass level down around 40hz is at the same level as the 2Khz area when it really should be about 10dB higher give or take for a 'house curve' that will make the majority of recordings sound balanced. Your mid-band is too high in level, in other words.
    I didn't know that either about the bass being typically +10db in room, thanks Macca, maybe a bigger cabinet would be better then.

I'm Martin.

Don't they have level controls?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Yes but they're only for the top end, improves the tonal balance by reducing treble but then just muddies things up after a point. I've mine linked out at Energy -1, Roll Off 0(flat).

I'm Richard.

A +10dB difference between bass and mids is too much IMO if you're aiming for a neutral-ish in-room response. The following curve is a good target to aim for as a starting point IME. I personally I prefer my highs to be less rolled off than this.

Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617