+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new cartridge chez Cagey

I'm Kevin.

Two years on and I now have my very own EPC-P310 to play with.
    This one has a paratrace stylus on a sapphire cantilever spliced into the original boron pipe, which in a way is a shame, but is much cheaper than an EPC-305. The added advantage of my 310 is that it was checked over by ESCO, so it has a clean bill of health prior to me purchasing it.

I am quite happy with the modified 310,as I feel the limiting factor with the original Technics cartridges was the stylus profile. The 310 still sounds very neutral, but with added detail.

I am still tempted by a 305, but Infear it will lack the detail that I enjoy from my other cartridges.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Two years on and I now have my very own EPC-P310 to play with.
    This one has a paratrace stylus on a sapphire cantilever spliced into the original boron pipe, which in a way is a shame, but is much cheaper than an EPC-305. The added advantage of my 310 is that it was checked over by ESCO, so it has a clean bill of health prior to me purchasing it.

I am quite happy with the modified 310,as I feel the limiting factor with the original Technics cartridges was the stylus profile. The 310 still sounds very neutral, but with added detail.

I am still tempted by a 305, but Infear it will lack the detail that I enjoy from my other cartridges.
    Nice exotic mix of materials there Kev? I have not heard a sapphire cantilevered cartridge but plenty of Boron. Just bought a Kontrapunkt B which has an amazingly thin Ruby cantilever and Fritz gyger diamond.

I'm Kevin.

I saw your thread, and I am happy you found one after a few months of looking.
    Personally, I am not an Ortofon fan. The 2MB put me off enough not to investigate their MC products. It’s an expensive past time trying MC cartridges. I would still like to hear one at some point, but in someone else’s system.

Having borrowed the first 310 from Richard, I liked the tone but missed the detail. This seemed like a good compromise.
    I am still tempted to try a 305, but I have my reservations about the suspension when it gets warm down here.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I saw your thread, and I am happy you found one after a few months of looking.
    Personally, I am not an Ortofon fan. The 2MB put me off enough not to investigate their MC products. It’s an expensive past time trying MC cartridges. I would still like to hear one at some point, but in someone else’s system.

Having borrowed the first 310 from Richard, I liked the tone but missed the detail. This seemed like a good compromise.
    I am still tempted to try a 305, but I have my reservations about the suspension when it gets warm down here.
    The Kontrapunkt b is nothing like the 2M black and probably not even similar to the Cadenza range that has now replaced it. You are right, it is difficult trying to get to listen to MC cartridges especially in your own system and then at considerable expense. I have been fortunate and heard many MC cartridges in both my own system and other systems over the last few years and nothing really made me want to part with a large wedge of cash until now..

Your right to have reservations about the suspension on some of these old cartridges, I had one collapse sometime back and wreck a good LP!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123