+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My return back to Hi-Fi.

I'm Josie.

Very nice. I've had the PD-91 and if I was going to go back to CD that would be the only player I would pursue.

Love that era of Pioneer. Stunning, congratulations
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fantastic stuff, Paul! I admire your choice of equipment and lateral thinking. So what made you go that route - have you always been a fan of the JVC, and of that era of Pioneer amps?

It's certainly a complete sea change from an AV system!

Enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Oh !!

Magnificent Tower of Power you have there.

I'm seldom jealous of other folks' gear, but I may be prepared to make an exception for that pile of electronics!

Yep, ditch the tt and put one of these on top instead ...

Awesome.

I'm gone.

.... or how about one of these instead?

I'm Robert.

High end jap gear just love it with a capital L and always have since school days in the '70's.

That R2R looks simply fabulous and no need to even bet that it's built to sound awesome and does.

The black pioneer turntable looks a battleship beauty, pretty much in the same vain as some of the bad boy Sonys - TS8000 and PS X9 come to mind as well as the Trio L07d.

As for the PD91 - Lets just say it's my last cdp

I'm Josie.

I once had the swiss black RT-909 - It was a beauty and fully fitted and refurbished my myself. It took an age but in the end it was fantastic. The pic shown of the black RT-909 is a cheap version as all of the buttons, guides etc are still silver.

I think the swiss version cost me around £2500 inc. machine which I got for £400. All labour/refurbishment was of course my own time. I think they retail for over £4k now.

Nice machines to look at/use and once sorted they are a very reliable machine. Sound is really nice but once you have seen (inside) and heard a Studer for example you definitely see that the RT-909 is more aesthetics than anything else.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 08-12-2016 at 09:56.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I once had the swiss black RT-909 - It was a beauty and fully fitted and refurbished my myself. It took an age but in the end it was fantastic. The pic shown of the black RT-909 is a cheap version as all of the buttons, guides etc are still silver.

I think the swiss version cost me around £2500 inc. machine which I got for £400. All labour/refurbishment was of course my own time. I think they retail for over £4k now.

Nice machines to look at/use and once sorted they are a very reliable machine. Sound is really nice but once you have seen (inside) and heard a Studer for example you definitely see that the RT-909 is more aesthetics than anything else.
    Interesting stuf Josie.
    Can be the case with some beautiful jap gear BUT thankfully, the high end often does look and sound great too

I'm Paul.

Thanks Ian,

I'm Paul.

Thanks Marco,
    Until you have seen, held and heard the older vintage gear it is not possible to appreciate how well designed and built they are, something I believe will never be repeated.

I'm Paul.

Hi Jerry thanks for that, Yes that was exactly the player I was after, Until I read Josie's comments on the real black player, as for the turntable that could be my next purchase if one comes along

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast