+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My return back to Hi-Fi.

I'm Loz.

Agree with the others Paul. Lovely looking set up.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

Lovely selection of gear there - bet it sounds fab!

Excuse my ignorance, but are the speakers vintage too, and if not, why didn't you go vintage there as well?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

Lovely selection of gear there - bet it sounds fab!

Excuse my ignorance, but are the speakers vintage too, and if not, why didn't you go vintage there as well?

Marco.
    Hello Marco,

The speakers are dynaudio C1s and they do take quite a bit of power to drive them as they are sub 4 ohms which the pioneers are more than capable of handling.
    I felt that I would get more out of the vintage turntable,CD,receiver and amps by running a modern pair of high quality speakers and that it does.
    I also have a neet bluetooth receiver box and stream my hi-res files from my sony experia z5 via the amps and that too does sound very good into these spaekers.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Paul

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Paul. No worries - I'm sure it sounds great. If you ever decide to scratch the vintage speaker itch, I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what some of the best examples can do in that area

I'd love to hear your turntable sometime, as it looks rather intriguing.

Enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Fantastic. Gorgeous looking and i will bet it sounds great too. I would love one of those CD players. I can see why you came away from av. I never took av seriously to be honest. Enjoy your system, it is really quite something.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Paul. No worries - I'm sure it sounds great. If you ever decide to scratch the vintage speaker itch, I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what some of the best examples can do in that area

I'd love to hear your turntable sometime, as it looks rather intriguing.

Enjoy

Marco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Fantastic. Gorgeous looking and i will bet it sounds great too. I would love one of those CD players. I can see why you came away from av. I never took av seriously to be honest. Enjoy your system, it is really quite something.
    Thank you for your comments.
    The CD player took me a long time to find and in fact I had to go to Holland and buy it of a chap that worked for pioneer back in the early 90s and hevhad kept it since them and maintained it, I was very lucky as it is in as new condition, and sounds absolutely amazing
    I thing is I do not now have any remote control units and it is a joy to get up and put a vinyl on or change vthe CD rather than just sitting down and pressing buttons and quite often flicking from one track to another I now actually listen to all tracks to the end.

I'm Paul.

Couple of pics now camera is back!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Deano.

Utterly superb

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Default Update and advice sought.

Finally bought the cassette deck I have been after and have now shoe horned it into the rack, Connected it all and to say I am happy is an understatement, However I am in two minds as to whether or not re-site my record deck and put a Pioneer rt-909 (Black) on top, I know they are as rare as hens teeth and expensive but I hope to listen to a 909 shortly to determine whether or not to proceed.
    Therefore does anyone have or know of a (reasonably priced and well looked after) rt-909 Black for sale?

System at present:-
    Pioneer Reference - CT-91a Cassette deck.
    Pioneer Reference - PD-91 Compact disc player.
    Pioneer Reference - F-91 Tuner.
    Pioneer Reference - C-73 Pre-Amp.
    Pioneer Reference - M-73 Power -Amp

I'm Ian.

Looks stunning, lovely to see great looking equipment instead of multi shaped and multi colour boxes, not that there's anything wrong with that of course. 11 out of 10 there Paul
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast