Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SW1X: A review of a new DAC from a new company

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by hughandella View Post
    sent him a message Marco tks
    Cheers, mate. Now sorted

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Can we have a photo of the back, so you can see the connections?

Hi Rob

the back and more importantly some internal shots are now posted in previous post by Slawa --- I think you can see the quality --- and this is of my personal DAC the BASE model not the Signature !

Last edited by hughandella; 15-04-2016 at 11:58.

I'm Kevin.

My only comment is that the connectivity seems a bit limited?
    Will there be/ is there a model with optical, coax and USB?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    My only comment is that the connectivity seems a bit limited?
    Will there be/ is there a model with optical, coax and USB?
    Right now we have a USB/SPDIF Transport that we recommend to connect to any computer source - it does make a material difference but we are looking at a single chassis with a USB/SPDIF and DAC inside and so it will obv have a USB input ...... I also agree we need to consider 2 SPDIF connections (Slawa was worried about signal degradation) but it needs to be practical too .... I dont honestly know about optical --- I think ( possibly incorrectly ) it is used less these days ---- tks for thoughts

I'm Neil.

It isn't a good idea to put USB and SPDIF into the same DAC. They have very different design requirements. It is why so few DACs sound the same through their SPDIF and USB inputs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

Not so sure re optical. Think i prefer it over coax if implemented well and a glass cable used
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Slawa.

Default Connectivity

Dear Kevin,

Your concern about additional connectivity is a very well discussed subject.

The main objective of the design of our DACs and any other product we design is the highest possible quality of sound.

It is just a matter of Quantity vs. Quality. Our DAC design is optimised for Coax SPDIF connection only. We could have offered a DAC with all possible digital inputs including optical Toslink, however I felt that there would no value added (mildly put) to the quality of sound. The only other alternative would have been I2S, with which is even more problematic to insure maximum compatibility. I am sure that you also heard about the trade off between compatibility and performance? On top of that, it is well known that all switches and additional soldering joints simply worsen the signal transfer ability. Furthermore, numerous experiments indicated that a better way of interconnecting a NOS DAC is by means of digital SPDIF is via coax SPDIF, provided that the digital transport is properly designed without giving up performance to much.

That brings us to the question of USB input. Please do not underestimate the importance of an USB interface. It contributes to the sound at least as a DAC does if not more. If you are into music and not just sounds, then there is no way around a properly designed USB interface. A DAC sounds only as good as your digital transport is.

A properly designed USB interface requires a lot of space and therefore cannot be fitted inside DACs where there are constraints to space such as in case of our DAC 1. For that purpose we specifically designed a USB to SPDIF interface called SW1X USB 1. The USB 1 employs valve based circuit for the master clock and an impedance matching SPDIF valve output stage. More info can be found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1820856074...84.m1558.l2649

The combination of USB 1 interface and DAC 1 transforms the music listening experience into an other dimension. Unfortunately, there is not enough space to for both devices in the current chassis. We are most likely going to offer a DAC 1 with USB 1 interface in one larger chassis design at some future point of time.

In order to achieve best results in terms of musicality, I would recommend pairing DAC 01 with USB 01. Both devices were made for each other and work with each other in best possible synergy. Of course feel free to try the DAC 1 on its own with other transports (CD or USB it does not matter) but bear in mind that a DAC is only as good as the transport is. The transport is the weakest link. Even best DACs will only sound mediocre if paired with a mediocre transport.

My question always has been: Why would one need many sub-optimal ways to interconnect a digital transport and a DAC if there is one connection that ensures maximum possible quality, after all? In our book one connection is enough if that connection ensures best possible results in musical performance.
    Last edited by SW1X; 20-04-2016 at 16:48.

I'm Slawa.

It is a good idea to combine both USB and a DAC in one chassis if it is done properly. In majority of cases it is just a "cutting corners" approach, which is really counter-productive to our musical enjoyment.

I'm Kevin.

So if Ihave a CD transport, and stream music from a PC - I would need two DACs?
    For me that is going a bit far with regards to expenditure.

I am sure that the DAC you have produced is very good as a "no compromise" design, but a switchable input (more than one of the same type) would be most welcome so I would not have to mess around with cables round the back of my rack.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Slawa.

Dear Kevin,

Single properly designed DAC should suffice. There are no issues to produce a DAC with 2 SPDIF inputs and a switch (mechanical toggle or relay). I mentioned before there would be a convenience vs. sound quality trade off.
    I am also using a CD transport from time to time. The process of reconnecting one end of the SPDIF cable from the USB 1 interface output to CD transport output does not take more time than toggling a switch at the back of the DAC or changing a CD.

When it comes to convenience with maximum possible sound quality with digital sources then a combination of a properly designed computer with a properly designed USB interface and a DAC are hard to beat.
    Last edited by SW1X; 20-04-2016 at 16:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast