+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: My Constant State of Change System...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I tend to play way lower than that, around 60-70dB. That’s loud enough for me.

I did wind the system up to an unfeasibly loud level to test the new amp the other day, and it was feckin’ admirable - not missing a beat, not getting stressed and not losing grip. Not bad for a 30w amp.

I like your MLs by the way. I had a pair donkey’s ago. There’s something about them that other speakers don’t get close to.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I tend to play way lower than that, around 60-70dB. That’s loud enough for me.

I did wind the system up to an unfeasibly loud level to test the new amp the other day, and it was feckin’ admirable - not missing a beat, not getting stressed and not losing grip. Not bad for a 30w amp.

I like your MLs by the way. I had a pair donkey’s ago. There’s something about them that other speakers don’t get close to.

I do as well. Like I said, I usually stay around the 80 - 85 dB mark. But it's nice to know that the system can get up and go when it's asked to. And it does so without complaint.

Years ago, I owned a pair of Magnepan MGLR-1's and absolutely loved them. Maggies do a LOT of things right, and after listening to several different pairs at the time, I decided on the MGLR-1's because they were the only ones in my price range at the time (other than the MMG's of course). That was back in 1997 I believe.

Fast forward to just a few years ago when I got these ML SL3's, they quickly brought back the memories of the Maggies. Life-size vocals and instruments, open, nearly colorless sound, does most things right, etc, etc.

Just a few weeks ago, my oldest brother purchased a mint used pair of Maggie 1.6's (not the newer 1.6QR). Said they only have maybe 6 months of use on them at most and sat unused mostly. They look absolutely brand new all around. I spent a few hours with him helping him dial them in. They sound great for the most part, same life-size vocals and instruments, open, airy, great imaging and sound stage and put out an amazing amount of somewhat deep bass on their own. The only thing is, they have somewhat of a hollow or cupped/chestiness sound in the midrange. I'm guessing they're possibly not fully broken in yet. I always used to joke around saying that my MGLR-1's sounded like the cardboard box they came out of when they were new and breaking in. That's pretty much how these 1.6's sound at the moment. Hopefully that will all clear up after a few hundred hours. It stinks though because he's hardly ever home to play his system, and he doesn't leave his system on 24/7 like I do.

All I know is that when I come home to my system, it's like a breathe of fresh air. One thing these SL3's do extremely well are vocals. Very very natural and realistic sounding. Almost like the singers are right in the room.

BTW, I just searched and found your gallery thread on your "Tidy" system. Looking at your clean little setup really makes me happy. I love small clean systems. But the most important part of that thread is that view you have overlooking the field with three horses. Simply beautiful. To have that room, that system, and that view, I really do wish I lived over in the UK.
    Preamp | Amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 | Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks
    Analogue Sources: Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2
    DAC | Digital Sources: Auralic Altair G1 | JVC XL-Z411
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | Monster HTS 5000
    Cables: Wireworld | Pangea Audio | AudioQuest

I'm Charles.

Playing around with some "new" NOS tubes that just showed up, as well as the 6SN7 tube adapters to use them in the Freya+...

Raytheon/Baldwin 12AU7's on the left, GE 6CG7 on the right. I also have a pair of GE 6FQ7's, which are identical to the 6CG7, but the 6CG7 utilizes a shield between the two plates.

I'm Charles.

6FQ7's now in place along with the 6CG7's...

I'm Charles.

Did a thing today... Been itching for a while for some DIY action, and I've had these sitting at the other house for a few years now doing nothing. Figured I'd get them fired back up and actually finish them off properly.

Here's the quick and dirty. And please excuse the mess at the moment in the room. There's been a lot going on in this room today. LOL

The dbx Driverack Venu 360 still had all of the crossover and level settings, as well as the old EQ settings for the old room. Just ran the "Auto EQ". Sounding better than I imagined it would, especially since they just replaced the Martin Logan's. In fact, these are doing extremely good right now.

The little silver amps are the Nuprime STA 9's that I used to own and sold to one of my brothers a while back. The Emotiva is powering the Audio Nirvana fullrange drivers, the top STA 9 is powering the Eminence woofers, the bottom STA 9 is only there to send a signal to the JL subs.

More to come!

I'm Charles.

I'm Charles.

Been tweaking speaker positioning more, adjusting levels, crossover points and such. Really getting these dialed in. The result of all that work was that the AutoEQ in the dbx Venu 360 had to implement a lot less in order to make corrections.
    Afterwards, I played my reference songs from Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight, I Don't Care Anymore, and Genesis - Mama. Songs/albums that I have lived and breathed for the past 30+ years. Also Carley Simon -Coming Around Again and Sting - Why Should I Cry For You and When The Angels Fall.

Especially while playing the Phil Collins and Genesis tracks, tonight was the first time in a very long time that my system made me get chills down my spine and actually start laughing to myself because how damn good it sounded! The last time this happened was when I was running HUGE open baffles back in the early 2000's with Usher Audio 15" drivers and Altec Voice Of The Theater 511B horns and 908-8b drivers. And this system is more refined than that system was, and much smaller by comparison!

Sheer dynamic swing, purely effortless slam, in-the-room vocals and drums, stage width and depth galore! And the naturalness and realistic presentation of it all... And this is STILL with the flimsy temp baffles and only one bass driver per side. I still have six more of these Eminence Acoustinator N2012 drivers to install (three per channel).

This is the RTA on the dbx Venu 360 after all the tweaking and running AutoEQ again, now with a lot less processing needed.

I'm Charles.

Been at it again... Simplified the system, removed a couple of amps and the DSP, changed speakers again, and purchased a Sony Blu-ray player...

I'm Charles.

Swapped out a power cable this morning...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Nice to see another fan of the work of Ansel Adams.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast