+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My Constant State of Change System...

I'm Justin.

I used ML for years both Aerius and then Ascent/Decent.

The panels and the current state they are in are an issue. When new they can sound pretty awful and they really do need a lot of time sometimes to break in. Hence why you had trouble with 13A I suspect.

I went through a lot of panels. No pair lasted more than 7 years. I used them for 17 years in total.

What's really odd is some replacement panels actually sounded great from the word go, and some would take ages to break in.

It's a really fine balancing act but when they are running right i.e. the membrane tension is actually right they can sound fabulous.

I thought Ascent was better than SL3 TBH but hey if you like them, who cares? Why? Better bass/panel integration. But that's always an issue with any ML hybrid. They can all sound a bit thin because the bass emanates from the bottom of the speaker with a huge panel only doing mid/treble. What I mean by that is there's no bass coming out higher up the speaker to balance the sound out. Maggies and Apogees never had that issue.

I also thought Summit really wasn't any better than Ascent/Decent.

They can sound excellent with a valve pre and a powerful valve or solid state amp. Certainly if the SL3 really are on form they will be outstanding value for money these days.

I'm Charles.

Update... Polk PSW505 subs out, JL Audio e110 subs finally back in after 3 years of them sitting in the closet with faulty amps. Finally repaired and updated.

Preamp | Amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 | Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks
    Analogue Sources: Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2
    DAC | Digital Sources: Auralic Altair G1 | JVC XL-Z411
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | Monster HTS 5000
    Cables: Wireworld | Pangea Audio | AudioQuest

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nice styling, but I always preferred the look of the Yamaha 'wedge':

Wow what a look .... reminds me of something that NASA would of designed to go to the moon ...... in a very good way ...cool

I'm Charles.

Again, this thread is about "MY" system, not others systems or random topics.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah guys, let's remember that please, and limit the thread drift on other people's Gallery threads. Ta!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah guys, let's remember that please, and limit the thread drift on other people's Gallery threads. Ta!

Marco.
    Thanks Marco.

I'm Charles.

Some better daytime pics...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by cube-tube View Post
    Again, this thread is about "MY" system, not others systems or random topics.
    You do not 'own' a thread, so a certain amount of thread drift is inevitable.

As for some of the blunt comments expressed here, well it is of course a matter of opinion, but 'raining on someone's parade' is not a noble trait. So let's keep the discussion polite, and not let it descend into acrimony.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Right guys, I'm going to step in here... Firstly, Gallery threads (much like sales threads) are a little different from those on the main forum, in that they are *primarily* for members to show off/eulogise about their systems. It's not the place to 'critically challenge' anyone, or be anything less than positive, even if you think you're being helpful.

Some earlier comments have been below the standards required in that respect, both from the OP himself (in response to others) and from contributors. Therefore, I don't want to see any more of that behaviour on this Gallery thread, or indeed any other on the forum, so please bear that in mind.

Charles, please also note what Barry said, in terms of no-one here 'owning' ANY thread, which includes you, even though you are the OP of this one. Your input, providing it meets the required standards of behaviour, will be given priority, but that doesn't mean it's YOUR thread.

Therefore, I'm going to prune all unacceptable input, and from now on insist that any posts made here, by anyone, are 100% friendly and constructive. Anything that falls outside of that will be removed with immediate effect and without further warning.

Ok folks, let's get back on topic, with NO more personal remarks!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Charles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast