+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Conversion

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    So as an update. After taking onboard some of the great comments on here, I'm bracing up my back and planning to lay concrete on top of the existing pad so as to level it. I always wanted to do it, but thought it was way more expensive than joists and chipboard. Talking to a builder friend, who uses someone.. 2m3 or thereabouts of concrete for £250 seems like a bargain to me!
    Hi Glen, I'm glad you're taking this direction . Not only should you have a better "sounding" floor you also address many of the potential issues outlined earlier.

I'm guessing from your OP and the quoted figure of ~2m3 of concrete your slab will be 150mm thick? That's exactly what I'd recommend as at ~5m (taken from your stated 16' length) your on the limits of what concrete can do without cracking.

If your not thinking about laying the concrete on Polystyrene (not very expensive and available at most builders merchants https://www.insulation4less.co.uk/eps-70-100mm ) I suggest running a perimeter of 50mm Polystyrene to the external walls. You can use this as part of the shutter for the concrete which will give you something to tamp off, ensuing your slab is as level as possible and can provide the foundation for a rudimentary cavity tray. If that doesn't make sense I can provide a basic sketch to illustrate.

After that's laid, I can start on building the actual walls etc. I'm also now going for double plasterboard. Because of width and cost constraints, I'm using 9.5mm standard, with 12.5 Acoustic on top, for the walls and ceiling. Hopefully that'll do the trick.. enough for my needs anyway.

Cheers
    What you have planned is what is required to pass residential sound testing on party walls. I prefer the idea of using PLY or OSB but completely understand the cost implication. I would prefer this as using different materials will significantly reduce vibration transfer. I have no alternative to Green Glue other than the aforementioned, personally I'd be a bit more creative.

I would consider using cork / vinyl / rubber sheeting. This is pure blue sky thinking on my behalf so I have no examples to share but, I know ~3mm cork is cheap and very effective for Slate/Cork/Bamboo isolation platforms, vinyl could be picked up at low cost in the form of vinyl flooring remnants and I believe neoprene is ready available and low cost. Just some random thoughts and based on nothing other than my own imagination so take it with a pinch of salt. I do however feel that any damping achieved would have little effect within the listening room but more outside of it, so probably wouldn't invest too much time or money into the endeavour, I'd rather spend it on more insulation!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm alan.

You will need a good graphic equaliser glen.,......,

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    You will need a good graphic equaliser glen.,......,
    Any particular reason?

I'm Glen.

Thanks DarrenHW as always! I have fastened level battens to both sides of the garage as it not only runs off toward the door, but also left to right as well! So we can tamp off them and even though I’ve done it, they are level..
    One thing I’ve read is to put the acoustic plasterboard on first then the standard on top. Is that right or will it make no difference?
    I’ll have a think about what to put between them, if anything at all.
    Thanks again all...

I'm Glen.

So we managed to lay the concrete pad toady.. This has been something I've waited 30 years for! Awesome!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Martin.

Looks good. Looks very good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

How exciting! Look forward to following your progress Glen.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks good. Looks very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    How exciting! Look forward to following your progress Glen.

Thank you both! I'll try and keep up with the pictures...

I'm Darren.

Well done Glen

Was it as much graft as you expected, what's your next step?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Well done Glen

Was it as much graft as you expected, what's your next step?

I've been waiting for you to say something mate! I was worried you'd think I'd made a mistake or something! Actually, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do it, but me and a mate barrowed it all in about 35 minutes. It wasn't really that hard at all. My 76!! year old father in law tamped it all and another mate helped him a bit. It went really well. The father in law came back the next day and smoothed it all over, got those little ridges out, so it's all nice and smooth.

The electrician comes tomorrow to cost up the new consumer unit and look at where all the sockets should go. He knows a little about air con too, so I'll ask him about whether to have a split air system or go with the heat recovery and 2Kw radiator... Then I'm planning on starting with the stud walls, with ceiling after that. Exciting stuff!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast